Secret is out Fuji is in.

John Adolfi

After some dissapointing results with the Kodachrome last fall and the demise of Kodachrome and the gitters, I've decided to try Fuji. Why? 1.) Metal gate that the film is transported through will eliminate as much as possible the registration problems. 2.) 25asa outdoor balanced film should give me (I will find out soon) a nice small tight grain pattern. 3.) 200 asa indoor balanced film "Yeh!"

4.) The ZC1000 is a very substantial camera with great qualities and interchangable lenses. 5.)Japanese quality control. I've been to Japan during my stint in the Navy in 1984. I saw the disc camera film of poorly shot photos from the crew members which came back with after processing in Japan and the quality was startling. 6.) Optional sound stripe gluded on during processing.

The only two negatives are the cost of film is $16-$18 vs. $11 kodachrome. Processing is $10 vs. $5-10 kodachrome. So there is a slight difference. And of course the wait. 4-6 weeks.

I'm going to give it an honest try. My results with Foma B&W film with a purring like a kitten Canon Double super-8 camera was dissapointing. My Nikon R-10 produced a more stable picture than the Canon. I encourage those how are sick and tired of complaining about your results to give Fuji a try. ( This is an unpaid commercial)

im on my way to fuji anyway for many of the same reasons you mention above. ive been dealing with some of japans best engineers for more than 20 years so i know their superior engineering capacity over a wide range of high end technologies - many related to advanced high end cam techology. i will do some si8 testing in the near future and if the results over su8 are substantial ill definately go there.

kodak has now admitted that su8 homemovie makers / prjoectonists (red those shooting reversal) are not part of kodaks su8 business equation anymore so the switch to si8 is quite simple to me. also the si8 prices overe here are pretty low at the moment so that is no probl either.

last but not least: poststriping of soundtracks on the film done along with processing is a huge advantage for us who projects our films.

s/hoot

Edited by S8 Booster

I encouraged you Booster to go to single 8 a long time ago when you revealed on another board the outrageous prices you were paying for super 8 carts where you live. Single 8 by mail is cheaper isn't it? For a guy who is all about projecting his home movies and would love to have a sound film option and is a Japanaphile like you, it seems a no-brainer to go single 8.

Heck, you can screw a Canon zoom on a Fujica z1000 and all your fantasies will have come true. B)

well, never denied the si8 superiorty over su8 - its just the availability of film and its price here that kept me from going there. it is quite many years ago that i considered selling most of my s8 gear to buy a zc1000. however, i recently got a mint z850 for free which are currently doing fine as a testbed.

in europe there was nothing to touch k40 with its reasonsable allthough still expensive price includung a faboulous logistic system for processing in swizz. no one cound touch that.

now that kodak liquidated the k40 the switch is simple n easy. they even took the 125t away from me.

btw do i see a slight contradiction here? why would i need the best 8mm option available for my family home movies while the "pros" are more than satisfied with a second rate trouble mared 8mm system?

s/hoot