Lightweight Legs and Head Recommendation

Kevin Roy

Looking for recommendations to support an SR3, lightweight setup. I’m a one man show and need camera support that I can sling over my shoulder and move quick. I’m a bit budget conscious certainly. Looking for something as steady and smooth as possible, but a ‘run and gun’ setup as I am my own AC quite often. My ‘go to’ has been Sachtler, that’s probably out of range of what I can spend. I’m just a little out of step of whose offering what these days and don’t keep up with new gear like I used to.

On a separate note, I’m in the LA area this week and thought there might be a sales showroom/rental house open where I might check out some gear that could work.

Thanks everyone for your help and happy holidays. 

After some research and some excellent consultation by TransFilm in Burbank, I went with the Sachtler Aktiv8 with the carbon legs. Very impressed with how the tech has developed and how light it is. That’s quite impressive. Great match for my SR3 and my style of shooting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After owning a bunch of Millers, O'Connors, and Sachtlers, I'm amazed at the various light-weight fluid head & sticks combos available today for a song.  I am doing a shoot-out between a Video Tripod, COMAN KX3636 74 inch 6kg for $136 for a Micro Four-Thirds body with a heavy 8~18mm Leica\Lumix lens and 7in monitor, and a miliboo MTT602II-AL 76 inch 10kg for $189 that supports a ~25lb 800mm f5 Astro-Berlin telephoto.  Each has pluses and minor minuses, but either may be suitable for your DSLR-size up to an Alexa movie camera rig.  And at these prices, I might just keep both!

Edited by Robin Miller