your personal preferences...

Filip Plesha

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Unless you think a 35mm million dollar film should pay the same wages as a 1

> million dollar film.

I expect people to be paid according to their abilities, experience, and the market pressures on each post (I didn't say I liked it.) Lots of people, and I'd hazard an increasing number, want these jobs. This will force prices down.

> In a country like the U.K. where you have more social services like national

> health care, it may seem less understandable why people need unions still.

> You've got the government providing a basic fallback system.

Hollow laughter. Sure, we have government healthcare - if you call dying while waiting for treatment healthcare. We end up paying for it twice - once into government coffers, and again to the private healthcare you can actually rely on.

Phil

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect people to be paid according to their abilities, experience, and the market pressures on each post (I didn't say I liked it.) Lots of people, and I'd hazard an increasing number, want these jobs. This will force prices down.

That invites abuse. This is what unions and international trade agreements between governments should be fighting to stop. It is for the protection of citizenry against the corporate greed of big business. I don't keep my head in the sand but I'm also not a cynic who gives up and let's others abuse me. People have a right to earn a quality of life and this is something that should be fought for using the power of numbers and legislation. Protecting the citizenry is the number one reason for the existence of government.

Guest oscar

Well, talking about Aatons XTR It's very quiet, ergonomic and low power consuming, batts charge pretty fast on fast charge mode. only have tried their own Aaton B/W video asist, it's not that good. On mag loading, it takes more time that to load an average SR Mag and Viewfinder it's not as wide as an ARRI one, besides the eyecup has this sort of twist lock or of PL mount that's not very safe specially when you are doing hand held job and you tend to grab camera from hand grip as well as well as wiewfinder, such like when you do that with an SR, Arri video assist, the newest version is so close to the Millenium XL video assist that it is a certainly pleasure watching. Other reason for Panavision: Design, everything can be changed so fast, viewfinders, ff systems, etc. in Arri , which still is my favorite starting from rods on bridgeplate, comparing to Panavision rods mount, you notice the difference in design that's more evolved in Panavision.

Cheers

Guest oscar

I dont know, but deciding on 35mm cameras if your work is not very much audio related and you dont want to spend tons of money, maybe an Arri 35-3 35rd generation will do the job. With a CE Xtal speed control base, that camera really rules, very much sturdy and shock proof, nuclear proof, I do consider that two of the main battle horses used around have been 35-3 and 3-c.

Cheers

The ENG design is what attracted me to Aaton.At the time I was shoting alot of TV station promos and shooting on ships and in tight quarters.There were times when 35mm would've been better than the 16 and Betacam I was shooting.I also had a friend that shot for Nation Geographic Explorers that swore by it.I was just wondering if anyone had used one what they thought of it.

Marty

I've used the Aaton 35-3 a few times and almost shot an entire feature on it (we were going to have to carry it up a mountain every day so the small camera made sense). The mags are a little tricky to load at first, but you get used to them quickly. It's not a great all around production camera because there's just not room on the machine for some of the bells and whistles. But I find that it runs quieter than the Moviecam SL, has more features and is easier to handhold. You don't want to try handholding with a zoom because it's seriously frontheavy.

• Premium Member
The mags are a little tricky to load at first, but you get used to them quickly. 

The trick with the mags is to ONLY put your filmcan in the changing-bag. You open the can, pull out some film and seal the can again, leaving the film you pulled out hanging from the can.

The you take the can out of the changing-bag, and in daylight you lace the film through the mag and go back in the changing bag where you just put the roll into the mag.

Voilà.

I used to shoot small cheapy music video's on an Aaton 35 years ago. From what I remember it loaded like the Aaton 16 didn't it?

For a tricky camera try the A-minima. Now that camera takes time to learn. I've shot with it a couple of times and have learned to get the A.C to load 3 mags and have them ready at all times.

If you have to actually wait to load a mag and wait for it to be threaded into the camera, then it does cut into actual production time.

I used to shoot small cheapy music video's on an Aaton 35 years ago. From what I remember it loaded like the Aaton 16 didn't it?

It may look like a 16mm Aaton at first glance, but the mags load very differently. Feed and takeup are on the same side (coax would be very wide), and the entire transport shifts position as the film spools from feed to take-up in order to keep the mag smaller. I like Max'a idea, but I was able to get the hang of it after a couple of tries. There'a a little metal loading tool that helps when you first start out. It's been awhile but I recall that after I got the hang of the mags I didn't bother with the tool anymore.

The A-minima mags are counter-intuitive to anyone who has ever used any other film mag before in his or her life. It takes a mental leap to get past that whole flipping the film/Mobius loop concept. But one gets the hang of this remarkably little fellow quick enough as well. I'm more impressed with the design leap that Aaton took in coming up with a mag load that let the natural curl of the film keep the film properly up against the gate and at the same time turned the mag itself into little more than a tin can with a wheel inside. I know one student AC who learned the A-minima first and then had to unlearn it some so that she could understand other cameras!

I know one student AC who learned the A-minima first and then had to unlearn it some so that she could understand other cameras!

I learned threading a Mitchell that was always mounted upside down.

First time I had to do it with the camera mounted rightside up I had to resist the temptation to thread it standing on my head :rolleyes:

-Sam