Super 8 Viewer

Chris Alex

I see a lot of super8 viewers as i go through super 8 stuff on ebay.

Some of them dont cost more than than 20-30 dollars.

is it wise to get one of those in good working condition, modify it properly (for example removing the front screen perhaps) and put a 3CCD miniDV camera and transfer from there?

• Premium Member
I see a lot of super8 viewers as i go through super 8 stuff on ebay.

Some of them dont cost more than than 20-30 dollars.

is it wise to get one of those in good working condition, modify it properly (for example removing the front screen perhaps) and put a 3CCD miniDV camera and transfer from there?

You can try it, it won't cost u much either.

But the mini Dv medium is really bellow S8mm resolution.I think some of them are for editing purposes?

Dimitrios Koukas

You can try it, it won't cost u much either.

But the mini Dv medium is really bellow S8mm resolution.I think some of them are for editing purposes?

Dimitrios Koukas

Well, yea

I got a Final Cut Pro setup and i want to edit s8 material digitally.

Thats all!

And i can always hookup a Betacam SP and record it there if im looking for better resolution.

Edited by ALX

Super 8 viewers use rotating prism optics. Your transfers will look like dogmeat. You'd be better off shooting off the wall with a projector. You'd be even better off getting your material transferred through a telecine house, if you can afford it. Don't waste your time trying to transfer off an S8 viewer; I have and it wasn't worth the bother.

Super 8 viewers use rotating prism optics. Your transfers will look like dogmeat. You'd be better off shooting off the wall with a projector. You'd be even better off getting your material transferred through a telecine house, if you can afford it. Don't waste your time trying to transfer off an S8 viewer; I have and it wasn't worth the bother.

Thanks alot. I personally prefer professional telecine houses that do the job.

I record from wall with a friend's projector and i was just wondering if the viewer can replace it.

Im into getting a Beaulieu 708EL projector (i think thats the model).

And i think it can do the job for low budjet clips.

Thanks alot. I personally prefer professional telecine houses that do the job.

I record from wall with a friend's projector and i was just wondering if the viewer can replace it.

Im into getting a Beaulieu 708EL projector (i think thats the model).

And i think it can do the job for low budjet clips.

If you want to still do the transfers yourself,alot of folks like the Workprinter.Moviestuff.com I think id their website.