Mouse pads and product shrinkage

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

A thick 2013 mouse pad compared to 2 - 2019 mouse pads. In 2021 they shrunk in thickness even further. Now it takes 3 pads to = 1 of the 2013 pads.

Comparison%20of%20old%20mouse%20pad%20th

Normally not a big deal. But I can't sit too long at the 'puter or my back bothers me. So, I have a standing desk computer to use to break up positions. I rest my hand on the mouse pad sometimes and the bone in my hand gets sore if the pad is thin. So, I have to make a pile of 1 old thick pad and 2 medium pads for my mouse / hand cushion. If I only had the new 2021 pads, I guess I would need 6 pads minimum. Well, it cuts back on crude oil usage. 

Shrinkage is a popular way to reduce costs in many areas. Beside paper shrinkage shown below, in WW2 they cut back on staples from using 3 per magazine to 2 staples and then to 1 staple in some cases to save metal for the war. 

Magazine%20size%20shrinkage%20over%20100

Old%20and%20new%20Ivory%20soap%20compari

I used to like the big Ivory soaps...alas also hit by product shrinkage a few years ago. Shrinkage not only in size but in quantity as well as higher priced for smaller and less bars.