Wideangle lens for scoopic

Antonio

Guest Ian Marks

Canon produced a "clamp-on" wide angle lens specifically for the Scoopic M and MS (which have the same 12.5 - 75mm zoom) and these are much sought after. I think the combination produced about a 9mm wide angle. You can probably also use many of the auxiliary wide angle adapters out there (like the Nizo UW III, which was originally intended to be used with a high-end Super-8 camera). To use these, you set your zoom at its widest position and then use the macro function to bring the image into focus by eye. You might also check some of the high-quality wide angle auxiliary lenses sold by Century Precision Optics. I think the filter thread on your Scoopic's lens is a 72mm.... the same as many video lenses (think Canon XL-1). Hope this helps.

I use the Nizo UWIII on a Scoopic M with better results than the Canon wide angle adaptor which is scarce..

I have a few Century Precision lenses designed originally for Betacams with Canon or Fuji TV zooms.I have used them with a few super 8 cameras,they just take a little finagling to jerry rig them right.Haven't tried it on a Scoopic yet.

I also have a Nizo UWIII (Scneider lens) and use it on my Scoopic M, with good results.

I haven't seen any footage blown up to 35mm or projected, but for video finish it looks fantastic.

It brings it down to 8.3755mm.

(You will need a 67-72 step up ring).

Really sharp lens, much easier to find than the Canon, and cheaper as well.

I see them on ebay quite often. Just make sure it's the UWIII.

MP

Guest Ian Marks

Seriously, unless you are a professionally-trained lens technician with years of experience, don't even THINK of trying to remove the lens from your Scoopic unless you really want to bring grief upon yourself. The lens is not designed to be removed.

Go to the hardware store & get a sledge hammer.

Oh, you mean you wanted to still use the camera?

Seriously though, it's not meant to be removed.

Having said that, it would be waaaayyyy cool to outfit one with a PL mount, (or even a Nikon or Canon mount) wouldn't it?

There are service manuals out there you can get for the camera that have breakdown graphics, but it looks pretty difficult.

I have no idea how one would go about figuring out the mount modification.

It would be cool though...

MP

Thanks for the sentiments. After much debate I decided to let things be as they are. (Since the more unscrewing I did, the more I heard "Danger, Will Robinson!")

Any comprable lenses for a cheap price anyone can recommend that I can take a look at?