trying to achieve that specific look

Guest Sprocket14

Guest Sprocket14

I've noticed in a few commercials and music videos that the screen seems to have seperate layers giving it a sort of 3D'ish look. It's sort of hard to explain and I have no idea what it's called which brings me to my question. What is that exactly and how do you achieve it. I heard a rumour about using a digital SLR and cutting out layers in photoshop and then later reapplying them in post. It seems to be a new fad of cinematography and I would like to test it...Can anyone help me out with this?

• Premium Member
I've noticed in a few commercials and music videos that the screen seems to have seperate layers giving it a sort of 3D'ish look. It's sort of hard to explain and I have no idea what it's called which brings me to my question. What is that exactly and how do you achieve it. I heard a rumour about using a digital SLR and cutting out layers in photoshop and then later reapplying them in post. It seems to be a new fad of cinematography and I would like to test it...Can anyone help me out with this?

Can you post one grab to see what is this you are talkin about?

I would be glad to help if I can recognize it.

Dimitrios Koukas

Guest Sprocket14

Here's a link to a 50 cent feat. the game music video where I think they use this style. It seems like a lot of it is done on a blue screen. But I also think they shoot plates or layers with an SLR and then move them in after effects. Maybe this is more of a question for special effects. but if there are any Dp's that have shot for this, I'd love to hear some comments or tips.

http://music.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=681397#

click on - watch hate it or love it video

• Premium Member

The video for "Hate it or Love It" and several others like it [Eminen's "Toy Soldiers", The Roots - "Don't Say Nuthin" ] were directed by the collective known as The Saline Project made up members Justin Francis, Brent Chesanek, Ben Toht, Adam Toht, Jake Gottormsson, Jesse Roff. Click on the link.

If you want to read more about their working methods in an interview at Mograph

FYI, there was a BET "Access Granted/Making of The Video" segment on "Hate it or Love it" that the station replays quite frequently, so you might be able to catch it.

• Premium Member

Now that I ve seen the videos, I am almost sure they use a 2D background, that they track it on a 3D programm.

Just a blue/green screen with trackers on.

So the 3D artist /animator used this background that moves in relation to the camera, makin a false 3D image.I ve did an advert like this, here is a grab.

Dimitrios Koukaspost-8298-1128163173.jpgpost-8298-1128163208.jpg