help! a compactflash card is about to erase

Delorme Jean-Marie

hi all

i'm sorry to ask about soething far from image but not that far:

our full day filming today in algeria is about to be erased because of a compact flash card pb on the sound equipment!

how?

the FR2 "FOSTEX" recording machine shows an error 7 and do not want to open the the memory card (lexmarq 1GB)

as far as i understand hardware we do not know so far if the entire day is dead

have you ever had or heard about this kind of pb? do you know a forum or a sound guy who could help us.

we a re filming kinds and we will never have what we'v had today...

so if you can help thanks in advence

from Settif Algeria by for now

• Premium Member
hi all

i'm sorry to ask about soething far from image but not that far:

our full day filming today in algeria is about to be erased because of a compact flash card pb on the sound equipment!

how?

the FR2 "FOSTEX" recording machine shows an error 7 and do not want to open the the memory card (lexmarq 1GB)

as far as i understand hardware we do not know so far if the entire day is dead

have you ever had or heard about this kind of pb? do you know a forum or a sound guy who could help us.

we a re filming kinds and we will never have what we'v had today...

so if you can help thanks in advence

from Settif Algeria by for now

Hello,

How was the weather?

was it a bit dusty?

anyway, one reason that might have caused this is by removing the card or inserting it while recording.

But I hope that it isn't this and it is the enter button that maybe has sand.

Can u do other functions with the menu? I mean can u ''enter'' things?

Have u cleaned the pins?

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

Hi,

I regularly use an FR2, but I've never seen that issue. Have you tried reading it on a computer?

You could try reading it on a Linux machine, on which it might be possible to mount it as a raw block device and read the entire disk off into a file (with the "dd" command). Being as Wave files are straightforward PCM data, it would then be quite possible to load the resulting mess into an audio edit program and manually clip out your takes.

It's equally possible that the CF card is considering itself to be unreadable, in which case it might never be willing to let you download anything. In that case, you're stuffed. Welcome to a whole world of ADR fun!

Best of luck.

Phil

thank again gentlemen for your help

the wether is super dusty with a big hard sun up to 10am then it's super cloudy until 4pm then it's the muezzin call for coran on heavy speaker until sunset bcause it's ramadan period

we tried to open the card on our power book but it doesn't want to recognize it

so far we kept on filming bcause i had another card on my D70 nikkon (i had to erase all the stills of my "arabics setups F...............ing sound"

so far the fr2 works good with the new card

we will trie everything not to reshoot this day

but for now we only have the kids between 4 and 6 pm after scool and with the pbs i talked about.

we will trie the linux test but it might be dust or bad human reson

i don't know enouth about sound to be confortable with this pb

thanks and i keep you aware

ps i have to send you still of the green screen i had build please don't laught to much

the wether is super dusty with a big hard sun up to 10am then it's super cloudy until 4pm then it's the muezzin call for coran on heavy speaker until sunset bcause it's ramadan period

so far we kept on filming bcause i had another card on my D70 nikkon (i had to erase all the stills of my "arabics setups F...............ing sound"

but for now we only have the kids between 4 and 6 pm after scool and with the pbs i talked about.

ps i have to send you still of the green screen i had build please don't laught to much

a verry good day today with the kids, they are fantastic!!

we had news from the fr2 dealer un belgium that the same pb already hapened with another sound engenear, it took him about 12 h to get it's files back with a special software maybe the one you mentioned over this post. we are working in this direction

i know it's not the dedicated forum for sound but when it get to re-shoot an entire day it's becoming an operator concern

thank you again for your help