HVR-Z1 with the mini 35

Abraham Cherian

Hi

Was wondering if anybody has filmed with the HVR-Z1 and the mini 35 and later slowed the footage down in post?

I plan to film a TV Commercial in PAL and later slow the footage down by 25%. Does the footage strobe or create artefacts or do any such thing that makes it unusable?

Abraham

• Premium Member
Hi

Was wondering if anybody has filmed with the HVR-Z1 and the mini 35 and later slowed the footage down in post?

I plan to film a TV Commercial in PAL and later slow the footage down by 25%. Does the footage strobe or create artefacts or do any such thing that makes it unusable?

Abraham

Hi,

Are you recording in 50i DVCam? If so it will look the same as DVCAM slowed down by 25%! If you like that sort of thing !

Stephen

• Premium Member
Thanks for the reply - a few clarifiacations

I am filming in 50i, but does that mean that withor without the mini 35 the effect of slowing it down in post will be the same?

Hi,

I think slowing down the tape will be the same. The mini 35 adapter is just an optical system added.

I've been happy with the Z1. Only problem is it's about 100 asa. With the mini 35 you will need alot of light!

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that if you shoot in interlaced, wether 60i or 50i, when you slow things down a good edit software will split the feilds into 2 frames. since each feild is taken at regular intervals if you slow everything down by a factor of 2 (50% slow) you actually end up with smooth motion (though you do cut resolution in half, shoot 1080i). Make sure your shutter isnt too long, maybe 1/200 will work well (long shutters stutters and flickers). also make sure you slow in a quality program, one that can handle feilds (avid, premiere, final cut are a few options)

as with anything else a few days before your shoot get the camera and test test test. see what you like. I ended up using a slowmo effect that did show artifacts because it seemed to fit within the project.