Kodak 4-X Reversal

Putting aside the issue of the age of the stock, it's hard to know what the new process wil do. I was working in the equipment room at a university when the changeover between the old and new process took place, so I had to get familiar with what would happen to each version of each stock in both processes.

If I recall correctly, the old Tri-X stock had the same speed rating in either process. The old Plus-X, however, got one stop faster when it was processed in the new developer. So you've got to take a guess as to whether you think the formulation of 4-X is closer to Tri-X or Plus-X and go with that. Tri-X is faster, so maybe the 4-X will respond in the same way and maintain its normal speed rating.

But the age of the stock is probably the biggest variable here, and I don't know what to say about that. B&W will hold up longer than color, but it's still got to be pretty old by now. Does it have a date on it? Good luck with shooting, let us know how it goes.

It's sound stripe stock and in old style packaging, so is probably about 20 yrs old. Originally 4-X was ASA200, so I may derate it 1 stop to ASA 100 due to age and uprate it 1 stop for the new bleach, giving me - ASA200 ? Waddya think?

• Premium Member
It's sound stripe stock and in old style packaging, so is probably about 20 yrs old.... Waddya think?

I kept some DXN for ten years in the frezer, and it has a bit of fog. has the film been frozen? I have found over the years that the higher the speed, the more likely that storage will degrade film.

When I did Microfilming, we would have so many variables that the norm was to do a step test. Shoot a test with target having white grey and black patches. The film was read with a densitometer, and the exposure was chosen to get the best results. I suspect that with the variables you are dealing with (1) changed process, and (2) degradation of the film that using such a method would be a wise thing. You can probaly spool off a sample on a 100ft spool, and do a short burst at each speed. With a note in the frame so you can identify them later.

MY cynical side sugests starting at ASA10, and working up...

(Growing up I was always looking for bargins in outdated and or surplus film)

• Premium Member

Kodak 4X Reversal Film 7277 was rated EI-400 for daylight, and EI-320 for tungsten.

I agree, film that old is likely to have some issues, and the effect of the new process on such an old film was not tested.

If you must use such old film, run some tests, including an exposure series.