Legality of helicopter mounts

Hey all,

I thought of this after seeing this thread, http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...wtopic=9201&hl=...

A while back I was talking with a grip about all the different types of camera mounts they used to rig onto helicopters before the FAA was more strict about what could safely fly. What are the exact laws concerning mounts? Are some of the mount systems not qualified to be used, etc?

I'm not planning on gaff-taping an Arri to the side of a chopper or anything, I was just curious what the laws were compared to what they used to do in the industry, etc.

• Premium Member
Hey all,

I thought of this after seeing this thread, http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...wtopic=9201&hl=...

A while back I was talking with a grip about all the different types of camera mounts they used to rig onto helicopters before the FAA was more strict about what could safely fly. What are the exact laws concerning mounts? Are some of the mount systems not qualified to be used, etc?

I'm not planning on gaff-taping an Arri to the side of a chopper or anything, I was just curious what the laws were compared to what they used to do in the industry, etc.

Jeremy,

Everything that is mounted on a chopper, plane or ballon,glider and anyway on anything that flyies, needs to have technical authorisation from the FAA or the CAA.

This happens for the simple reason of the rule''safety first'', that aplies to anything that flies.

So, a tyller mount or a wescam needs approval first for it's arms and brackets that support it.

As we can all easily understand a wescam with a mitchell 35mm on, weights about 140-160 kilos,

not all the aircrafts can handle this weights for simple reasons (like displacing the center of gravity).

Also there are different arms-mounts for everytype and that has to do with the airplane's or helicopter's

designing factors.

So, one company may have the arm that goes to a bell-206, but not for a hughes 600.

And this mounts/arms MUST have certificates from both the helicopter or airplane company and the CAA.

I am talking especially for the nose/belly or side mounts.

With the things that do not extend outside of the aircraft itchelf , and are less heavier than a passenger, things are just a little bit easier, but they need approval from the CAA and the pilot.

Dimitrios Koukas