How not to record oral history audio interviews

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

News_2016_OralHistory_1.jpg

The Association of Moving Image Archivists - Fair Use

Got an email from the AMIA. They want me to take some of their classes on film preservation and other things. One class was on taking oral history. I do lots of audio work. Much of it is with archival material, but I have recorded a decent amount of audio for the Archive as well.

A pretty basic thing when you are recording is; don't hold the mic in your hand unless there is no other way to support it. You will get noises in the recording from finger movement. And even if you are using a mic on a stand, you can get hand cramps holding a recorder for hours on end.

Some of the old timers wander all over with their stories. When I did this oral history below, it was over many hours and in 7 recordings I consolidated. Now, I don't mind wandering stories. You never know when you will get some gem audio. But GD...I don't want to have to hold the recorder for all that time!

I recorded this right when Covid was first exploding. Was shut down for a year after it. I was shooting a film with this guy, but after covid he deteriorated, and I never could finish the project. I was glad I got some audio. (...and the raw footage.)

Oral History Nesta Kerin Crain R.Morriale D.Teoli Jr. : D.D.Teoli Jr. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

1%20Oral%20History%20Nesta%20Kerin%20Cra

Photo: D.D.Teoli Jr.

I've always told you this...

You got someone with special knowledge or history...get it down. Audio, film, photography, scanning ephemera, whatever...get it down. One day they don't wake up...and all that history is gone!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.