Losless 16:9 codec?

Guest Ian J Walton

Guest I J Walton

Howdy, when I use a lossless codec like Huffyuv of just plain uncompressed, I noticed that it squashes my 16:9 footage to fit 4:3. Are these going to loose any resolution when I convert to 16:9 DVD?

Or do I need a dedicated 16:9 lossless codec?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Howdy, when I use a lossless codec like Huffyuv of just plain uncompressed, I noticed that it squashes my 16:9 footage to fit 4:3. Are these going to loose any resolution when I convert to 16:9 DVD?

Or do I need a dedicated 16:9 lossless codec?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thats known as 16x9 Anamorphic it's using the full resoloution. It only looks squashed because you are using the wrong monitor!

Stephen

Your footage was recorded to the tape this way; it's nothing to do with your computer. If you were watching a 4:3 monitor on set it would be the same way until you pushed the 16:9 switch on the monitor. Your DVD authoring software will allow you to select 16:9 as the display type, which will tell the DVD player what to do, ie. letterbox on a 4:3 TV or squish anamorphic on a widescreen TV. That's why it looks normal when you play the DVD back on a computer drive, but not your raw or edited footage. Don't make the mistake of letterboxing to 4:3 while editing unless you're positive this is how you want it shown.

• Premium Member
So when you convert mini DV of 4:3 to 16:9 anamorphic you keep all of your lines and resolution of the 500 line DV but it is just readjust and squished into the elongated format of anamorphic 16:9?

Hi,

Yes, its just the pixel aspect ratio that changes. Most editing programmes will have presets so you can see the options yourself.

Stephen