is there any possible way..

RedCaineForNova

Im 17 and im shooting my second film soon with some of my friends, im using the only camera avalible to me its a piece of crap digital sony handycam..it uses Hi 8 tapes, and i was wondering after were done shooting, is there any way it can be changed to look like a real movie and not so "americas home video" look. - thanks

Im 17 and im shooting my second film soon with some of my friends, im using the only camera avalible to me its a piece of crap digital sony handycam..it uses Hi 8 tapes, and i was wondering after were done shooting, is there any way it can be changed to look like a real movie and not so "americas home video" look. - thanks

Yes, very expensive to do so.

Now, really the things to focus on are the lighting and shooting techniques. While it won't match the look of film, it will give you the experience plus won't look like home movies anymore. I've seen good results from the Digital 8's before, if you get the lighting right.

• Premium Member

Hello,

Try to use all the manual fixtures of the camera, like iris and white balance, (if it has any), also disable the auto-gain feature if you can.It ads a lot of grain when lights are low.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

Hi,

> i was wondering after were done shooting, is there any way it can be changed to look like a real movie

That's quite difficult.

It's much easier to make it look like a real movie while you are shooting.

Also, learn to punctuate! Good grief!

Phil

• Premium Member

Well, yes, but it's expensive as hell. The best thing you can do would be to get a tripod if you haven't already and do some reading on profesional camera operation, visual storytelling, story structure, sound, and lighting.

There's a very good reason movies take millions of dollars to make and their skilled crew get paid very, very well. If any kid could go out and make an A-quality movie, there'd be no prestige in "making it" in filmmaking.

• Premium Member

Simple!

1. Don't shoot handheld. (Your tripod is your friend).

2. Don't rely on the microphone on the camera. (Try an external mic).

3. Don't shoot in available light. (Use bounce boards to brighten up the darker side of the actors face).

4. Don't shoot when the contrast is too intense for your camera. (Pick the right time of day for each location. And, stick to it).

5. Don't pick bad locations. (Invest the time to find good locations).

6. Don't pick bad wardrobe. (Avoid thin stripes and other fine patterns and solid red garments).

7. Don't "hope for the best" (Storyboard this movie beforehand, shot by shot, in your mind or better, on paper).

8. Try using "makeup." (You could have your girlfriend or sister help with this.)

9. Try using longer lenses for blurring the background on CU's, but only if it supports your story. (Some Digital8 cameras are blessed with really, really long optical zooms. Use it to your advantage!)

10. To fail to plan is a plan to fail.

So, in other words, don't shoot it like a home video! Good luck.

im using the only camera avalible to me its a piece of crap digital sony handycam

That's no excuse!

You can also de-interlace your footage, but only after you've followed the advice of everybody else here.

www.joesfilters.com

Demo his field blending filter, it works really well and will cut down the robotic movement you're accustomed to with DV interlaced footage.

I'm of the belief that story is far more important than medium, so when the time comes, if your film sucks, don't blame the camera. That's just a copout. Learn good technique now, then when you can afford a DVX100A or 16mm, everything you do will pop. B)