35mm camera choice

Neal Fredericks

if you were given these three options for a feature film...which camera body would you choose...?

1. Arriflex BL-4

2. MovieCam Compact

3. MovieCam SuperAmerica

just curious to hear from other DPs...

i have DPed features with all three but on this new feature i start next week...i think i am going with the BL-4...

It depends on the kind of feature you are shooting. Do you have to shoot a lot in cars, tight rooms and places like that? Or will it be outdoor and studio work?

All three are fine machines. If weight & size don't matter, no preference from me.

If they do matter:

Moviecam Compact

:)

• Premium Member

As in "Blair Witch Project" Neal Fredericks? Welcome to the forum!

Moviecam is much preferable -- the option to go mag on top or mag on the back helps in tight spaces, beyond the BL configuration. The BL is always a tank, the Compact doesn't have to be if you strip it down. Handheld is more comfortable with the the Moviecam, although not the lightest weight camera for that. And of course the optics rock. Very operator and assistant friendly.

BL's sometimes rent cheaper, and aren't bad cameras. Just not as flexible as the Compact. The only bad thing I've ever seen happen with the Compact was on a shoot in the desert where sand got in the gate. The gate design in that camera is two separate pieces of metal, which allowed a little sand to get stuck in the crevice and scratch the film. Of course this isn't really a design flaw, as desert shooting is always a risk and sand in ANY camera is a bad thing!

on the last two features i DPed i used the Compact...but i feel the BL-4 will work best on this new one with the majority of work on a stage and exteriors...no handheld on this show with a pee wee dolly and sticks as the main support...

and of course budget is always a consideration with each show...plus i have to have an Arri 3 on set to do some high-speed and 45 degree shutter work...

• 2 months later...

I would not use any of them. Im a Panavision person myself. They have some Amazing deals!!!

Panavision is always trying to help out new filmmakers. ..

No other place has offered me better deals that Panavision.

Arriflex is also good. But to me the only Cameras I like are Panavision and Sometimes, Arricam (Arri and Moviecam contraption).

Im not trying to tell you what to film on. But you should really contact Panavision. They are SO helpful.

Landon D. Parks

Director :ph34r:

if i could i would use Panavision on every feature, but budget has alot to do with my choices...

i was able to DP a feature last year here in LA with a Panavision Gold and Ultra Speed "Z" series lenses from Panavision-Hollywood. It was great. the camera was quiet and we had no mechanical problems.

but i tend to use Arriflex and MovieCam with Zeiss Super Speeds. you can get great deals on these here in LA if you know the right people.

Out of those cameras, I've only worked with the BL-4. It is easy to load, but from what I've seen from the loading diagrams of the Moviecams, they look just as simple. Aren't they like Panavisions in that there is no gear to turn to get the film into the take-up side? The BL-4 is very heavy. It's over 30 pounds. Also, as others have pointed out, it is not very new. Other than budget, what are your reasons for wanting to use the BL. I know that you say that you will be on sticks on set, but still, because the BL is older, I'm sure most things about the Moviecams are better and from what I've heard, the optics do sound much better. Also, the Moviecam SL site says that the shutter goes from 180 to 22.5 degrees, with positive stops at the normal intervals. I don't totally understand the wording, but I assume this means that you can set the shutter angel to anything between 180 and 22.5. Also, one of these "positive stops" is 45 degrees, so if you want, that could cut out your need for the 35-3. You can also get a Panavision lens mount for the Moviecam, if you want, it seems. I'd go with the SL, personally.

for that particular feature, i felt the BL-4 would be the best choice. it is built like a tank and i have a soft spot in my heart for that Arriflex. plus i was shooting in some god-awful conditions out in Barstow with dust and dirt and the BL-4 had no problems.

and with the second unit on that film using the Arri 35-3, I did not need the 45 degree shutter angle option for the "A" camera.

i have not actually used an SL for a feature but everyone says it is louder than a compact. i have shot a lot with compacts and super americas and feel they are both quality cameras.

• Premium Member

I have this secret desire to one day own a mint BL-4s, but they're still way to expensive

for my taste. I'll wait until HD has eroded that market a bit more. Other than that, the

Compact is probably the best choice as everyone says, although I am an Arri-man myself.

• Premium Member

Hey Neal,

Here's a belated "welcome aboard" to the forum.

I loaded for you years ago on a project you were shooting over at Griffith Park Observatory.

Hope all's well,

hey bill:

sorry to go off topic here...but that film was called KILLER ME (regular 16mm, Kodak) and it did great at the festivals (Telluride, etc.) and it got a great nationwide DVD/video release...you can find it at all Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos...

and we did use a beat up Arriflex SR1...with the older Zeiss 10-100 zoom lens...and my dvd commentary is a riot...i think we mentioned you on it...

did you ever see it...? all those scenes in Griffith park made the final cut...

• Premium Member

I can hear the commentary "...and the slow loading ac complained throughout the night..." : )

I'll look for it.

BTW, I recently had lunch with Illya at Wexler, I think he mentioned a BBQ?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...