Bolex Viewfinder

ochopatas

Hello,

I have a 16mm Bolex H16 reflex camera, with one 1 inch/25mm lens. Very simple.

My problem is that when the lens is attached tightly onto the turret, through the viewfinder, nothing is ever in focus. It is NOT a problem with the diopter. Everything is blurry regardless of the focus ring settings.

HOWEVER...

When I loosen the lens two to three turns, everything is now in focus through the viewfinder.

1) What do you think is the problem here?

2) What should I base my focus on? The measurements on the ring when correctly attached to the turret, regardless of what I'm seeing through the viewfinder, or should I leave the lens unscrewed a bit and trust the viewfinder?

I am going to try and get my film developed this week, but this is making me very nervous, because I don't like wasting film. Too expensive.

Edited by ochopatas

Hello,

I have a 16mm Bolex H16 reflex camera, with one 1 inch/25mm lens. Very simple.

My problem is that when the lens is attached tightly onto the turret, through the viewfinder, nothing is ever in focus. It is NOT a problem with the diopter. Everything is blurry regardless of the focus ring settings.

HOWEVER...

When I loosen the lens two to three turns, everything is now in focus through the viewfinder.

2) What should I base my focus on? The measurements on the ring when correctly attached to the turret, regardless of what I'm seeing through the viewfinder, or should I leave the lens unscrewed a bit and trust the viewfinder?

I am going to try and get my film developed this week, but this is making me very nervous, because I don't like wasting film. Too expensive.

Is this a Rx lens you're using? If not then it will not focus right because the reflex prism makes the lens mount deeper. You have to use lenses made for the Rex camera, especially lenses under 50mm.

Is this a Rx lens you're using? If not then it will not focus right because the reflex prism makes the lens mount deeper. You have to use lenses made for the Rex camera, especially lenses under 50mm.

I've never heard of the maker of this lens before, this is all it says: "Kinic Anastigmat 1 inch f/1.5 "

No place does it say whether it is a rx lens or not. Not sure how I'd find out!

Even if it were not, do you think it would affect the film? Or does the kind of lens only affect the ability to see an accurate focus through the viewfinder?

I've never heard of the maker of this lens before, this is all it says: "Kinic Anastigmat 1 inch f/1.5 "

No place does it say whether it is a rx lens or not. Not sure how I'd find out!

Even if it were not, do you think it would affect the film? Or does the kind of lens only affect the ability to see an accurate focus through the viewfinder?

Additionally, it has, etched into the barrel, "VS" I assume for variable shutter? I know there was a line of RXVS lenses, but I don't think this is what that is. Arg.

I really hope that my 3 rolls of film turn out somewhat decently. I've never worked with film before, and this hasn't been a great start. I blame my professor for not listening to me when I told him that something was wrong with the image.. :angry:

2 or 3 turns!!?? Too much. You have a big problem with your lens, but nothing to do with RX lens... (I use many non RX lens in rex Bolexes and non problem with focus, just disfocus in the corners, that disappears closing 2 stops). Try with other good lens to discard a back focus camera issue (anyway it'd be a too short distance issue... very rare, at less anyone had manipulated it).

All the best