Best "Wide Angle Converters"

M Joel W

I'm slipping into OCD/nerdy curiosity territory here.

But years ago I was trying to complete a "vintage" set of AI/AI-S Nikkors that were f2.0 or faster for S35. There's no 18mm or 16mm f2.0, so I tried finding a wide angle converter for the 24mm f2.0, which already isn't a very good lens. Needless to say I had results using wide angle adapters designed for still cameras. A lot of them are really bad, but in different ways. Are any of these particularly good?

Some of the adapters that are bespoke to a certain lens or system seem pretty good. Like the Ricoh ones. But I assume they're designed for specific cameras or lenses.

And on the other hand, there appear to be high quality aspherons out there – and the 18mm K35 is likely a 24mm K35 with an aspheron (so I've read). These seem like really high quality options, but they require the lens being in "macro" mode. Which not all still lenses have.

I guess I'm wondering if there's any good option for my 24mm f2.0 Nikkor to get a 17mm f2.0 with a wide angle converter or something.

Also if the ultra-rare Scoopic wide converter might combine with a 24mm FD L and a macro tube to form a makeshift 18mm K35. Or the less-rare 67mm C-8 adapter might work with the 24mm f2.0 Nikkor similarly.

Also if the Century 6.8mm adapter for the Tegea works on the non-rehoused version of the Tegea.... and if so, where to get one.... I can't find "WA-7X45" but I can find the adapter tube, I think.

https://pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01017/01017.pdf

Lastly, Kubrick used a wide angle adapter designed for a projector with his 50mm f0.7 Zeiss lens. I figure projectors need better corner sharpness than cheap wide angle converters offer and projector adapters are $20-50 on the secondary market despite being $800+ new. Is this worth a try?

Mostly just bored but I've already wasted too much time researching this.

Edited by M Joel W