general price of 35mm raw stock?

Brandon Adams

• Premium Member
Can anyone direct me to prices for 35mm raw stock?

Although Kodak has an on-line catalog, the prices are not in it since prices vary with exchange rate differences outside the USA:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...amerafilm04.pdf

So if you are too shy to talk to your Kodak sales representative for a price quote (they generally are quite friendly :) ), you can do a bit of research on price elsewhere on the Kodak website:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN090504_Q.pdf (example of price announcement)

Here's how to reach your Kodak sales office:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ww...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ww...=0.1.4.11&lc=en

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Would it be OK to get the general range of price from the highest to the lowest based on a per foot cost?

I actually don't want to waste a sales rep time because I won't actually be buying it.

Are we talking a dollar a foot, 1.50 a foot? 75 cents a foot?

Would it be OK to get the general range of price from the highest to the lowest based on a per foot cost?

I actually don't want to waste a sales rep time because I won't actually be buying it.

Are we talking a dollar a foot, 1.50 a foot? 75 cents a foot?

The price I got from the film emporium site was .56/ft

I also saw some fuji film on sale for cheaper, maybe .36/ft I think... but I don't remember the site, sorry.

Because I shoot a lot of short-ends, $0.52/foot seems high to me. I've gotten 5289 (a retired but still gourgeous stock) for as cheap as $0.09/foot, and I know that if you are willing to shoot 200ft loads (short ends get cheaper as you get to the lower end of the spectrum) you can get 5218 (a very popular stock) for as little as $0.32/foot.

However, for fresh factory rolls, you are talking a lot more. I wouldn't be afraid to call the Kodak rep, they are all friendly and knowledgeable, and as most productions price out everything from every possible vendor anyway, won't be surprised if you don't make the order on the phone with them instantly, they'll just assume you're pricing it out for a future production, which it sounds liike is what you are doing (or writing an article, for which I'm sure they'll be happy to provide info).

Edited by charleshaine

• Premium Member
Because I shoot a lot of short-ends, $0.52/foot seems high to me. I've gotten 5289 (a retired but still gourgeous stock) for as cheap as $0.09/foot, and I know that if you are willing to shoot 200ft loads (short ends get cheaper as you get to the lower end of the spectrum) you can get 5218 (a very popular stock) for as little as $0.32/foot.

However, for fresh factory rolls, you are talking a lot more. I wouldn't be afraid to call the Kodak rep, they are all friendly and knowledgeable, and as most productions price out everything from every possible vendor anyway, won't be surprised if you don't make the order on the phone with them instantly, they'll just assume you're pricing it out for a future production, which it sounds liike is what you are doing (or writing an article, for which I'm sure they'll be happy to provide info).

Well, the reason for the curiousity is the inventor of the Super-MAG, a 400 foot magazine for Suoer-8 cameras, was quoted 50 cents a foot to slit 35mm to Super-8. That seems rediculously high UNLESS Kodak meant that the 35mm film would then be slit into 3 or 4 Super-8 strips, making the final cost actually somewhere between 13-17 cents a foot in the Super-8 format.

Super 8 sound in Burbank does all of their own cutting, I believe. They also cut down 16mm to 8mm, which makes slightly more sense.

16mm and 35mm where actually settled on as the official film gauges in order to discourage cutting, since the original nitrate bases of the stock released some toxic elements when cut (or so I've heard).

Thus, by the time 8 was being settled on (there used to be way more film stock gauges around the 1910s), it was apparently safe to cut film in half, thus 8mm being half of 16mm.

50/ft doesn't seem that high considering the precision necessary to cut film at that level (does that price include the raw stock? If so, great deal), especially since Kodak doesn't do much 8mm work any longer. Since this would also give you 4 400' rolls of long-running 8mm, could work out to be a bargain, but I would see how much Super8sound charges to cut, since you could bring them short-ends (which are available in 400' rolls often), which would be cheaper, and they do a lot of cutting, and thus it might be cheaper.

Hope this info helps,

chuck

• Premium Member
Super 8 sound in Burbank does all of their own cutting, I believe. They also cut down 16mm to 8mm, which makes slightly more sense.

16mm and 35mm where actually settled on as the official film gauges in order to discourage cutting, since the original nitrate bases of the stock released some toxic elements when cut (or so I've heard).

Thus, by the time 8 was being settled on (there used to be way more film stock gauges around the 1910s), it was apparently safe to cut film in half, thus 8mm being half of 16mm.

50/ft doesn't seem that high considering the precision necessary to cut film at that level (does that price include the raw stock? If so, great deal), especially since Kodak doesn't do much 8mm work any longer. Since this would also give you 4 400' rolls of long-running 8mm, could work out to be a bargain, but I would see how much Super8sound charges to cut, since you could bring them short-ends (which are available in 400' rolls often), which would be cheaper, and they do a lot of cutting, and thus it might be cheaper.

Hope this info helps,

chuck

I agree 50 cents a foot is fine If they mean 35mm, but if they mean 50 cents a foot for Super-8 than basically they've taken a 5 dollar foot long subway sandwhich. cut it in half and charged 5 bucks for each half.

• Premium Member
The price I got from the film emporium site was .56/ft

I also saw some fuji film on sale for cheaper, maybe .36/ft I think... but I don't remember the site, sorry.

Are we talking recans or new film stock?

Anybody want to quote approximately what Vision II 400 feet and 1,000 feet costs in 35mm?

I just got a fantastic deal on 8572 from fuji. I was always looking at the web prices for stock quotes but after contacting kodak and fuji found that these were considerably higher than buying direct from the big boys. Cant say what deal youll get because each sale is different but it is worth enquiring- I was shocked at how much of a discount i could get at both kodak and fuji that i got my credit card out there and then on the phone! :) Credits to the stock manufacturers both were extremely helpful and not trying to push the sale on me

As for short ends I am having difficulty finding them here in England :(