Modifying film gate 16mm projector to S16mm

Patricia Dauder

• 2 weeks later...

I observe there have been no replies as yet. 

To have the projector gate modified, the best would be a motion picture camera repair service. Widening the gate would likely be a fairly simple but necessarily high precision task.

A simple widening of the gate will locate extra image area away from the optical centre axis. If the light beam from the lamp is narrowly prefocused, there may be delivered an image which is dark in the right side upper and lower corners.

A more thorough method would be to move the widened gate slightly to recentre the image to the optical axis but this would be complicated and expensive.

What brand and model is your projector? Some projector lenses may deliver a Super16mm image which is vignetted at the right upper and lower corners.

I copy-pasted the following list for some european services from this web address.

https://re-voir.com/shop/en/content/10-film-services

SUPER 8/16mm CAMERA REPAIR/MODIFICATION RESOURCES : BJORN ANDERSSON - BEAULIEU Sweden, Atelier RAYBAUDI - BOLEX France, CINEFIX UK UK SUPER 16, INC. New York, USA, JK CAMERA Oakland, USA, LIST OF GERMAN CAMERA TECHNICIANS  Germany, PRO8MM Burbank USA, DU-ALL New York, USA, CLICK & SURR Berlin, Dr. Bolex USA, LES BOSHER UK, MICRODELTA Spain, PIGEON CREEK CAMERA - Bolex Ontario, Canada, L'ATELIER DE CELESTINS Montrouge, France 

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 8:56 PM, Robert Hart said:

I observe there have been no replies as yet. 

To have the projector gate modified, the best would be a motion picture camera repair service. Widening the gate would likely be a fairly simple but necessarily high precision task.

A simple widening of the gate will locate extra image area away from the optical centre axis. If the light beam from the lamp is narrowly prefocused, there may be delivered an image which is dark in the right side upper and lower corners.

A more thorough method would be to move the widened gate slightly to recentre the image to the optical axis but this would be complicated and expensive.

What brand and model is your projector? Some projector lenses may deliver a Super16mm image which is vignetted at the right upper and lower corners.

I copy-pasted the following list for some european services from this web address.

https://re-voir.com/shop/en/content/10-film-services

SUPER 8/16mm CAMERA REPAIR/MODIFICATION RESOURCES : BJORN ANDERSSON - BEAULIEU Sweden, Atelier RAYBAUDI - BOLEX France, CINEFIX UK UK SUPER 16, INC. New York, USA, JK CAMERA Oakland, USA, LIST OF GERMAN CAMERA TECHNICIANS  Germany, PRO8MM Burbank USA, DU-ALL New York, USA, CLICK & SURR Berlin, Dr. Bolex USA, LES BOSHER UK, MICRODELTA Spain, PIGEON CREEK CAMERA - Bolex Ontario, Canada, L'ATELIER DE CELESTINS Montrouge, France 

Hi Robert,

Sorry I'm replying this late. Before, when someone replied to a post of mine in Cinematography I got an email, but it seems is not like this anymore and since there were no replies I did not check for quite a while. Many thanks for all the information. It is very useful.

My projector is an EIKI SSL2. I actually got two gates modified, that I bought separately. The first modification was done by a technician in Spain (not MICRODELTA, I also wrote them but they could not do it), but the cut was very imprecise. The picture area was not straight, (the frame was quite curved on the upper right corner) when projected and I therefore the gate and modification was useless. After that I tried Les Bosher since he modified my Eclair ACL  but he did not reply to my email this time. Hope he's fine

Luckily a man in London read my post on another forum, and offered to do the job. The cut on the second film gate was far more precise but now that I read your email, maybe I have to check to find out if there has to be done some recentering of the image. Will work on it on the following days

Thanks a lot Robert