"Shackleton"

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I recently saw "Shackleton", what looks to be a Channel 4 production. Shot by Henry Braham B.S.C, I thought the cinematography was fantastic, as far as channel 4 productions go anyway.

If you've seen it, what did you think? (I'm just looking for opinions really)

I thought it looked great -- reminded me of what I was attempting with "Northfork" in creating a somber monochromatic feeling.

Hey looks like you have a fan! (Yet another)

I think I know what you mean, I've got these pictures, they reminded me of the indoor shots in Northfork:

Dan.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

From what I recall this was a largely stagebound shoot, much like the stuff Jack Cardiff shot for 1948's Scott of The Antarctic. Lots of matte extensions, albeit in the computers (of Framestore CFC, who did wonders on director Charles Sturridge's Gulliver's Travels from 1996). The over stylised telecine rendering also contributed to making Shackleton a blatantly digital experience.

I like Braham's work a lot from what I've seen, but I'd highly recommend Scott of the Antarctic, which also boasts incredible colour location (and miniature) photography by Geoffrey Unsworth and Osmond Borradaile. They got a dramatic edge on the look that wasn't as all out muted, brooding and monochromatically obvious as Shackleton. Plus those telecine washed out images don't hold a candle to the older film's fully romantic Technicolor.