small format magazine needs another 200 subscriptions to survive

Guest filmfreund

Guest filmfreund

Yesterday I talked to the publishers. We need another 200 subscriptions to survive. So, if you are interested in the future of a magazine like this and have not subscribed yet, please be so kind and send us an eMail with your full address. Subscription is US-$ 79 or ? 69 for six issues (one year). Please be so kind to inform your friends and other Super 8 and 16mm enthusiasts about small format.

In 5 weeks the publishers will make the decision to go on or not.

Jürgen Lossau

editor of small format

eMail: redaktion@schmalfilm.biz

Guest filmfreund

Yesterday I talked to the publishers. We need another 200 subscriptions to survive. So, if you are interested in the future of a magazine like this and have not subscribed yet, please be so kind and send us an eMail with your full address. Subscription is US-$ 79 or ? 69 for six issues (one year). Please be so kind to inform your friends and other Super 8 and 16mm enthusiasts about small format.

In 5 weeks the publishers will make the decision to go on or not.

Jürgen Lossau

editor of small format

eMail: redaktion@schmalfilm.biz

For anyone who is wondering, this is an excellent magazine. I had the first English issue and was really impressed with the nice broad spread of articles - it had a quality feel to it too, it is not some cheaply produced mag, but a really professional publication.

I highly recommend!

Matt

about my above post I want to clarify this, because I have received a private message and it told me that these post was an offense:

sorry, my english is very bad and i only want to said that I hope that the smallformat survive. I´m a suscriber too. I bought the first issue and I want that this magazine was successful.

regards

• Premium Member

Juergen, maybe you can offer this website a press release in Small Format Magazine and a subscription in exchange for one of those ad banners on right side of this forum for the next month or two.

Is it Ok to ask in public how much Cinematography.com charges to advertise with one of those ad banners per month?

• Premium Member
I have received a private message and it told me that these post was an offense

Andres,

Your English is fine. Personally, I managed to figure out what you were saying in a few seconds, given the smilie at the end. You just happened to use an English expression that is always used in a negative way and never in a positive way. When I'm in France, I manage to do something similar at least once a week, much to the amusement of my French friends.

If your first language was English, you would have said something like "good luck, you deserve it". From a literal point of view, "good luck, it serves you right" is very close to the same thing, but a native English speaker just wouldn't express himself that way, except to be critical. This is one of those "errors" that makes native English speakers think about how their own language works. Personally, I enjoyed your originality.

Andres,

Your English is fine. Personally, I managed to figure out what you were saying, given the smilie at the end. You just happened to use an English expression that is always used in a negative way and never in a positive way. When I'm in France, I manage to do something similar at least once a week, much to the amusement of my French friends. This is one of those "errors", because it is based on a literal and slightly imperfect use of language, that makes native English speakers think about how their own language works. I kind of enjoyed how you expressed yourself.

thanks for the clarification, I have to learn much more of the shapeskere´s language.

regards

Yikes!

$80 for six issues? That's a bit steep, don't you think? Most hardcover books don't cost $13 apiece. I really want to support this endeavor, but my frugal side is holding me back. Is there a way I can see a sample before I commit?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Yikes!

$80 for six issues? That's a bit steep, don't you think? Most hardcover books don't cost $13 apiece. I really want to support this endeavor, but my frugal side is holding me back. Is there a way I can see a sample before I commit?

Thanks.

If you are in LA please come to the Flicker Attack film festival. Copies will be available to look at.

I feel that we are in a niche group so...I will do what I can to keep this format alive. If Super 8 dies..with no film available..I will have some very expensive paperweights!

Yes...$13 is not cheap..but if this takes off I am sure other magazines will get cheaper and who knows? But if we dont support this hobby now, well there may not be another magazine dedicated to Super 8. Its truly incredible that a magazine on Super 8 still exists today. Since the last cameras/projectors were last made almost 22 years ago..crazy!

Im subscribed!

• Premium Member
I feel that we are in a niche group so...I will do what I can to keep this format alive. If Super 8 dies..with no film available..I will have some very expensive paperweights!

Yes...$13 is not cheap..but if this takes off I am sure other magazines will get cheaper and who knows? But if we dont support this hobby now, well there may not be another magazine dedicated to Super 8. Its truly incredible that a magazine on Super 8 still exists today. Since the last cameras/projectors were last made almost 22 years ago..crazy!

Im subscribed!

Awesome!

There's a jewel of an article on home theatre design. The photos are out of this world and any DP with the bucks to design such a theatre in their home would be wise to subscribe and scoop up the first issue as well.

Love to subscribe but I will not! This is the last time I'm publically annoncing that I sent $20 to you months ago and have never received my magazine. I've e-mailed you privately 3 times also. Bad customer service.

Real bad. There is however a quick solution. E-mail me and get my address and send me my copy.

jadolfi@twcny.rr.com

Guest filmfreund
Love to subscribe but I will not! This is the last time I'm publically annoncing that I sent $20 to you months ago and have never received my magazine. I've e-mailed you privately 3 times also. Bad customer service.

Real bad. There is however a quick solution. E-mail me and get my address and send me my copy.

jadolfi@twcny.rr.com

John,

what are you writing in public? $ 20? We only asked for $ 10. 3 emails, no answer? Thats wrong. I always answered. And we sent out the magazine twice. Maybe there is a mistake with your address. But shouldn't we talk to it privately?

Juergen

• Premium Member

Judging from the web site, the magazine looks like it is mostly of interest to people interested in super 8 and the history of that format. If I'm going to consider subscribing, I need to be convinced that someone who uses super 16 would get something from the magazine. Got a reason, maybe even two :)?

Guest filmfreund
Judging from the web site, the magazine looks like it is mostly of interest to people interested in super 8 and the history of that format. If I'm going to consider subscribing, I need to be convinced that someone who uses super 16 would get something from the magazine. Got a reason, maybe even two :)?

Yes, a lot of reasons. Have a look at the contents:

- First Test of Ektachrome 64T

- The Coming of Super-8; 1965 - A new format was born

- James P Graham from London: Shooting Super-8 on Stromboli - 360° Panorama of the Volcanic Island

- A Visit to Bolex, Switzerland

- The Movie Theater King - A Greek who builds stunning home movie theaters

- Delicious Leicinas - Amazing gear that didn?t see the light of day

- All About Single-8

- Shaky Support - We tested 21 tripods: Only three made the grade

- Production Planning with Storyboards** - When illustrations help to make movies

- How to Write a Movie - Borrowing ideas from Hollywood

- International Film Fairs