Testing some of my Super 8 camera's

Niels kakelveld

I have recently acquired a bunch of Super 8 Cameras and wanted to test some of them out with one cartridge, by swapping it. I think it was 200T or 500T, I am not sure anymore.

Most cameras were set to auto exposure, but it was pretty dark outside and the sun sinks over the length of the tests so it isn't much of a good test to see how the exposure meters are consistent across each other. Especially when most of the tested cameras can not meter beyond 160. Regardless, thought some may still like to see it.

In chronological order:

Beaulieu 6008 S, Canon 1014 XL-S, Nizo 156 Macro, Nizo 481, Baurer S209 XL, Canon 1014 Electronic Auto Zoom (1) w/ DIY Max 8 Gate, Canon 1014 Electronic Auto Zoom (2) /w Super 8 gate, Nizo 156 Macro, Beaulieu 6008 S.

From what I have seen the Canon 1014 XL-S is not a good candidate for a Max 8 gate because the lens does not cover it as well as the 1014 Electronic.

I do not have an eyepiece of the Baurer S209 XL, does anyone know eyepieces that fit? And It looks like I need to adjust the viewfinder dioptre.

Other than that, they all seem to work well and appear fairly stable.

I knew the first Canon 1014 Electronic Auto Zoom worked because I have used it for a project before but I did the DIY max 8 gate after. I may need to do a little more filing on that one but I notice the bottom has too big of a cut. I do have a third gate from a donor camera so I may try again at some point.

All in all I'm happy.

Edited by Niels kakelveld

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 7:28 PM, Joel Brenden said:

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. With the Canon 1014 Electronic (Max-8 gate), is there vignetting at any focal length, or will the lens cover the entire frame even at 7mm?

I don't know.

Thinking about doing an other test with a real colour and resolution chart outside at the widest, medium and max FL. And also a tripod.

But film is expensive.

Could be because I didn't file the gate right all the way. 

Film is expensive! It feels like a bit of a sacrifice to use a roll (+ develop + scan) just on tests. If you do any more tests I'll be glad to see them. I have an excellent Nikon that I'm considering trying as a DIY Max-8, but also interested in buying a 1014 for that purpose instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 3:28 PM, Joel Brenden said:

Film is expensive! It feels like a bit of a sacrifice to use a roll (+ develop + scan) just on tests. If you do any more tests I'll be glad to see them. I have an excellent Nikon that I'm considering trying as a DIY Max-8, but also interested in buying a 1014 for that purpose instead.

It is looking like the 1014 Elec does cover or largely covers max 8, I would need to do a full zoom sweep to know at which focal lengths. I may take the gate out again to take a better look, or get a finer file and try on a spare gate from a parts camera.

When filing take your time, you can always file more off but never file back on. You can see I took too much off at the top so it projects through to the previous image.

From what I have seen the 1014 XL-S has a smaller image circle and doesn't cover anything beyond the normal super 8 frame.