House of Gucci (2021) retro video look

Deniz Zagra

I recently bought a 4k blu ray of House of Gucci (2021), Ridley Scott's latest movie. It's almost been a year since I saw the movie, so I didn't remember much of it. As I was watching it, I noticed that most scenes had an "early 90s video" look: muted colors, weird digital effects that were used a lot in the early 2000s, and clipped highlights. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but I really felt like I was watching a fashion show that was recorded 20 years ago for MTV. This look is not something I see a lot these days. With everyone trying to escape the "digital look" with vintage lenses, diffusers, and filmic LUTs, this felt somehow different. It was a bit nostalgic but quite modern at the same time. The clipped highlights especially is something I never see anymore. Even camera brands advertise the "filmic smooth highlight roll-offs" a lot these days.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this visual style Scott and Wolski achieved made the story much more believable and effective (at least for me). They could have went with grainy warm images for the 70s and 80s sequences, but they embraced this visually heavy look, and I think it worked for there benefit of the movie.

What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, David Mullen ASC said:

You said 4K blu-ray so was this an HDR version? Was it being displayed correctly?

Yes. The TV was an OLED and was able to display 4K, and yes, the 4k blu ray was the HDR version. And the clipped highlights were definitely purposefully made. Even on a regular blu ray, I would have seen more highlights and a more gradual roll-off. The ones on this movie were blocky and completely overexposed. I asked a friend about this who recently went to a screening of the movie, and he also suspected that this was a deliberate decision made by the filmmakers (or the post production crew).