ARRI Alexa Mini LF for TikTok?

Tim Tyler

ARRI Tech Talk: Shooting 9:16 content with ARRI cameras

Shooting content that requires a vertical deliverable? In this Tech Talk Sean explains how to make the most of our Open Gate recording formats as well as our specific Vertical Format Adapters to get high-quality, cinematic 9x16 footage.

• Upvote 2

That Open Gate from Arri is very noble. I think it take the best from most circles of vision in lenses, and that taller open gate makes you take advantage of the vertical angle of view. Maybe the best quality option for Open Gate cropped to 9:16 for TikTok commercials. And very expensive one. Anyway any sensor with Open Gate is better option than 16:9 or flipping the camera.  

But the the vertical angle of view of lens maybe smaller than the horizontal angle of view, so in some cases depending on what angle of view you need, you'll have to flip the camera. For example with a rectilinear 8mm ultra wide angle lens, for a shot that needs 120º angle of view in a space for real state, or anything that needs all the angle of view supported by the lens, but in a 9:16 aspect for social media. If your lens gives you less than that in the vertical angle of view, you'll have to flip the camera, or pray to the universe to create a new lens. 

Anyway, there are some new lens mount adapters that let you flip only the lens. Maybe that mixed with any open gate sensor would be the way to go in that case.  

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/14/2023 at 9:03 PM, Raymond Zrike said:

What’s the problem with flipping the camera on its side? I’ve used all sorts of cameras, although never an LF, on their sides. For instance, I flip the camera sideways for full body shots on a green screen.

Which recalls artist Brian Eno's Thursday Afternoon (1984), an 82-minute film meant to be watched with your television flipped on its side.