Bolex Motor Issue

Zachary Dripps

Hey all, I'm having an issue with the motor on my Bolex and wondering if somebody can help out. It will run normally when there's no film installed, but once I roll film through it, the motor stops unless I push lightly on the crank. I uploaded an unlisted video to YouTube where I explain the issue: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwpenJk2gdA

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Premium Member

When does the film first jam, when it starts to enter the sprocket, or when it enters the gate, or when it gets to the claw?

If the sprockets aren't properly aligned with the claw when the loopformers are closed it can cause problems with the auto-threading. Once threaded you should open the loop formers to see how it goes - does it move the film now? How does the loop looks - does it stay centred, or shift up and hit the loopformer edge?

There may be other issues causing too much load for the motor - are you fully winding the spring so it's at its strongest or running the camera just before the spring runs down? Does the camera slow down when you run the spring all the way down? (Hold the take-up spindle to replicate the load of film being wound on). Has the camera been serviced by a decent technician recently?  If not it could be that the mechanism needs a CLA, or the claw is not in tolerance, or the sprocket guides are too tight, or the film guide is deformed and making it hard for film to move through the gate, etc. 

It first jams when film enters the gate. It doesn’t move the film with the loop formers open. I tried running it after fully cranking the motor as well but that didn’t make a difference. I’ll try and clean and lubricate it and see what happens.

• Premium Member

That camera sounds horrible, desperately in need of care. Give it an overhaul. Everything will be checked and realigned by a good technician and that is called investment. You cannot expect a 74 years old spring-drive camera which never got serviced to function properly.

Edited by Simon Wyss