Bolex H8 Vs H16 - build, reliability, quality

Rowan Tuckfield

After years of B&W still photography I wandered into the "movies" two years ago and am loving the new craft of regular 8mm and DS8 exclusively shooting fomapan r-100. I am well aware of the extraordinary reputation of the Bolex H16 and am hoping to learn if everything that makes the H16 a great series of cameras (build, registration, reliability, longevity) are built into the H8 series as well. I don't need a reflex. I don't need sound. I currently shoot with Quarz DS8's (2x8s 1M and ds8-3) and don't mind the smaller format of regular 8. I like the Meteor lenses but am really looking forward to using the dedicated Bolex lenses. Thanks in advance and apologies if I haven't found an existing thread.https://vimeo.com/770504716

Edited by Rowan Tuckfield
adding tags

• Premium Member

Yes H8 cameras are basically the same as H16s in terms of build quality and stability.  Later reflex models in both gauges have better viewfinders, and the dedicated H8 RX lenses are extremely good, but there are plenty of nice D mount lenses for a non-reflex H8, like the little Switars. If you prefer smaller cameras, the pocket Bolex 8mm cameras (B8, D8 varieties) were great, not quite as solid as H8s, but really good for their size, and they take the same D mount lenses as a H8. 

Melbourne has a great film community, you're in the right town.