Last-minute prep for Mexico

Jason Mann

I'm headed to Mexico with two friends in a little over three weeks to shoot a documentary. I'll be taking a Panasonic DVX100A, two mics, a boompole, and my cheap Bogen tripod, along with cables, tapes, windscreen, a filter or two, and whatever else I can think of.

Does anyone know the best way to insure the gear? I bought all the stuff I've mentioned, so it's really insurance for my own financial well-being. I don't think we'll be taking any rental gear at all.

Also, what kind of documentation will I need for crossing the border? (and, more importantly, coming back.) I am planning on taking a passport and a copy of all receipts for the equipment, but am I going to pay a tax of some kind?

Because we're broke, none of us is getting paid to do this project. Can I claim that this is simply a pleasure trip, not business? (And would this even be better or worse?) And, with a significant amount of gear (I may take my Bolex too) would anyone in a Customs uniform believe me?

I know that's a lot of questions, but any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

You guys rock,

dirty

Unless the receipts show the serial numbers, customs officials may charge you for taxes, (if not also duties), on what you bring across the border. In Canada, you can take your equipment to a customs office, where officials will note each piece of equipment along with its serial number. This saves a lot of hassle when you return from a trip abroad with a load of expensive camera gear.

so do you think US Customs can give me something that Mexican customs will respect? I haven't yet gotten a US Customs person on the phone, but I wonder what I can take that will make sense in two languages...

I have done exacly this a few times by plane.

First time with an old Arri 16s, lights, tripod and a bunch of unexposed negative, without any problem.

I said I was a student and working on something for school.

I have also done the same with an Aaton XTRprod telling the custom officials it was just an old movie camera not even video. And they let me pass just fine.

If they find any reson whatsoever to charge you a fine they will not hesitate.

Once they charged me $100 dolars for taking a few more audio CD's than the 10 that are permited. This is because I got the red light and they opened my stuff.

Good luck and hope to get the green light.