Yellowing: Speed Panchro 75mm S2 vs. S1

Hello friends,

I have a question regarding the 'yellowing' of Speed Panchros S2.

Especially the 75mm lenses have quite a strong yellow tone in the glass. I know, people put it in the sun, under some nail polishing UV light, an IKEA lamp etc. 

But if I have the chance to get a 75mm S1 lens in good condition without the yellow tendency instead - shouldn't I decide for that one?

In other words: is there any advantage of the series 2 lens or should I chose the better lens?

• Premium Member

Series 1 Speed Panchros are an older design, early versions might be uncoated or with very basic coatings. The series 2 SPs came out in the mid to late 50s, so they are an improved design with larger coverage and better coatings. Most rehoused sets of SPs use series 2 (and series 3 for the 18 and 25mm). The yellow cast can usually be graded out or white balanced in-camera.

That said, you might like the look of a series 1 75mm, given how often people are deliberately degrading lenses these days to add some character to their images. 

If you are planning to use these lenses without rehousing, then the mechanical condition will be more important than a bit of a discolouration. Testing or better yet having a tech check them on a projector will tell if there is image shift, focus lag, element decentration or haze/fungus inside. Also the condition of the iris blades can affect the image, if they are oily or very shiny.