Laguna Beach

David Silverstein

If youve ever seen the show it looks stunning. Getting the effect of a scripted show on a reality show documentry. The number one camera I would say for documentry work if you can afford it. Anyone have any comments on the show and they effeciently use the 900s cinemode and 24p shooting.

I personally love the show just looking at it with the scenery in california is worth watching. It has to be the perfect place to shoot a documentry if you want goregous imagery.

Comments please.

Dave

• 1 month later...

David, I cannot speak for this show specifically so I should really just keep my mouth shut.

However, I've worked on some "reality" documentary shows and even written for them and believe me, the ARE scripted to a large degree.

-rook

i agree that the show looks very nice. though it's pretty clear to me that there's some pretty extensive (and well crafted) color grading going on in post.

but the show is pretty staged. one snippet that made it undeniable to me was when a "scene" opens with an ancilliary friend of one of the main rich guys taking the trash out to the street in front of the house, which was shot as a long wide. then, coincodentally right as he's doing that, rich guys pulls up in his car as he's driving back into town from college. he gets out and they have a brief and amazingly efficient conversation regarding exclusively about whether or not rich boy's going to visit his ex-girlfriend. of course, this is all covered with long-lens dirty singles. how incredibly coincodental that the crew happen to have three cameras set up at exactly the right places, and that the two guys just happen to position themselves just perfectly for ping-pong dirty singles.

i don't know why people say shooting docs is so hard, because this is proof of just how easy it is.

I dont know what to think ive seen the articles and what ive got out of them is most of it is probably semistaged like they tell them where to be at what times when they are going someplace. But it still comes off looking good and they said it goes through a whole da vinchi color correction afterwords.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know what to think ive seen the articles and what ive got out of them is most of it is probably semistaged like they tell them where to be at what times when they are going someplace. But it still comes off looking good and they said it goes through a whole da vinchi color correction afterwords.

Their is a Charlie Sheen (Ferris Bueller) moment where they obviously staged the shots in a cafe. As they cut between them talking his hair is fixed and the muffled. It was quite obvious...so i don't think they think the average person really cares.

Far off topic, its hard to believe people watch this show?

I saw an episode out of curiosity because a friend of mine freelances post for MTV shows.

Ultimately its rich teenagers with no life experience and no adult supervision.

Its sugery sweet with no actual nourishment.

• 2 weeks later...
The number one camera I would say for documentry work if you can afford it. Anyone have any comments on the show and they effeciently use the 900s cinemode and 24p shooting.

I personally love the show just looking at it with the scenery in california is worth watching. It has to be the perfect place to shoot a documentry if you want goregous imagery.

Comments please.

Dave

More info on SDX900 shooting Laguna Beach:

http://www.infocomm.org/index.cfm?objectID...B755062C9B78038