4k numbers

Mike Brennan

I think it is obvious to any working professional that there is a large amount of people who are hoping for the Red to be their entry into filmmaking. They are quite easy to identify, because their posts clearly show that they have little to no professional shooting experience and are basically hoping for the Red to be some 4K XL1. Hence their unquestioning support for a camera that is their one and only hope at this point in time.
Don't underestimate what you don't know... :rolleyes:

You have the right to reserve your own conclusions like the other folks too. And reading your post, I'd say something similar. Also your obvious truths «are quite easy to identify» and they worth what they are (just yours). This strategy against this project in order to make a deliberately low value regarding the RED clientele it is merely a biased key, coming always from the same side. Your words are what you're posting on your computer -- that's all !

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Max. The Red camera does seem like a ticket to better and greater thing for some people. But isn't this the DV arguement in the late 90s repeating itself?

It IS the DV argument, and we woud agree that DV had some impact?

Or am I totally off here?

Gunleik

I think it is obvious to any working professional that there is a large amount of people who are hoping for the Red to be their entry into filmmaking. They are quite easy to identify, because their posts clearly show that they have little to no professional shooting experience and are basically hoping for the Red to be some 4K XL1. Hence their unquestioning support for a camera that is their one and only hope at this point in time.

What on earth are you attacking Jonathan for? He made a valid argument and certainly has something to contribute with his posts.

And if you had actually bothered to click on his name, you'd have gotten to his imdb page with quite an extensive list of credits...

Arrogant guy! Always the same... Didn't your mummy tell you that "Pride comes before a Fall" and teach you good manners?

• Premium Member
But isn't this the DV arguement in the late 90s repeating itself?

It kinda reminds me of the botched introduction of the F900 where good old Larry Thorpe alienated a great deal of people. Only this 'marketing' approach is ten times worse. Companies like Arri, Panavision, Thomson and recently Dalsa and Silicon Imaging got/are getting it right when they introduce new gear so it cannot be that hard.

You basically said that because digital still cameras caught up to an amateur still format, that it equates to digital catching up to film. I guess I dont have to tell you that there is a big difference in creating a still camera that can come close to matching 35mm film than there is a motion picture camera matching it. There are frame rates to consider, storage, etc. I just dont think the technology is there to do it to the level that would finish film off.

No, that's not what I said at all. I don't mind having an intelligent discussion with you, but first you have to start accumulating some intelligence.

What I said was, RED is aiming to close the gap. We obviously aren't there yet - people are still shooting film. Obviously faster frame rates and post workflow are hurdles that need to be overcome, and that's why the still world has (and always will) acheived the transition first. And fortunately, whether or not you personally believe that the technology to surpass the quality of 35mm celluloid is coming or not is irrelevant; it's clear that it is.

• Premium Member
No, that's not what I said at all. I don't mind having an intelligent discussion with you, but first you have to start accumulating some intelligence.

What I said was, RED is aiming to close the gap. We obviously aren't there yet - people are still shooting film. Obviously faster frame rates and post workflow are hurdles that need to be overcome, and that's why the still world has (and always will) acheived the transition first. And fortunately, whether or not you personally believe that the technology to surpass the quality of 35mm celluloid is coming or not is irrelevant; it's clear that it is.

I was asked not to discuss RED anymore therefore I will respect that. However, personal attacks like saying i have to "start accumulating some intelligence" are not scientific and cheapen this forum. Quite frankly, Im tired of talking about RED anyway. If you want to support and reserve the camera, more power to you. I wish all RED reservation holders the best. But it isnt necessary to imply someone is stupid because they choose not to subscribe to your way of thinking.