Capturing into PC Adobe Premiere?

Giancarlo Fiorentini

I've never used the SDX before, but will be renting it for a shoot fairly soon. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to capture footage via firewire directly into the computer, or is a deck absolutely necessary to rent? We will be shooting on DVCPRO 50.

Edited by Giancarlo Fiorentini

• Premium Member

Hi,

..and make sure you have the latest updates for Windows XP. I'm not sure if you only need this if you're recording DV50 or the odd Panasonic flavour of PAL DV25 but I know there have been comparatively recent changes to accomodate Panasonic DV up to 100mpbs.

Phil

The best way is to make sure it imports native (I don't think you can convert while capturing, but check the camera settings and check the computer settings) if its NTSC DVCPRO50, make sure settings reflect that. If its DV25, same thing. If settings line up, then bit for bit your captured files should be identicle to what was recorded onto tape. This is a universal rule of all digital capture. If you are capturing native over a digital line, they are just copies of eachother (Its more like a file transfer rather than a capture)

• 5 months later...
No models of the SDX-900 have firewire. It's not an option.

The only outputs available on the camera are composite video out and, if equipped with the optional SDI card, SDI.

J

I'm hoping to capture DVCPRO50 footage shot on a SDX900 to a Win XP PC, via an SD93 VTR. Does anyone know what file format the footage will appear in Win as? I've asked in my other thread but no-one's replied.

Thanks.

I'm hoping to capture DVCPRO50 footage shot on a SDX900 to a Win XP PC, via an SD93 VTR. Does anyone know what file format the footage will appear in Win as? I've asked in my other thread but no-one's replied.

Thanks.

Avid Xpress or Canopus Edius will let you do this natively in Firewire DVCPRO 50, AVI format.

Adobe is misleading their claim to capture DVCPRO 50. Yes, but via SDI and expensive disk space consumption. W/ SDI, you can pretty capture anything (DigiBeta, DV50, D9, D1, etc..) So it defeats the space-efficient firewire workflow.

Avid Xpress or Canopus Edius will let you do this natively in Firewire DVCPRO 50, AVI format.

Adobe is misleading their claim to capture DVCPRO 50. Yes, but via SDI and expensive disk space consumption. W/ SDI, you can pretty capture anything (DigiBeta, DV50, D9, D1, etc..) So it defeats the space-efficient firewire workflow.

Ta. I replied in the other thread.