XDCAM HD and Magnetic HMI

Hi, we are planning to shoot a feature with XDCAM HD , and for budget reasons all I will have are Magnetic ballast HMIs , since the camera shoot at 23.98 fps ( shutter 1/48) and not 24fps , is very likely that we will have some flicker . Does anybody knows how to deal with that ?

tks

Roberto

• Premium Member
Hi, we are planning to shoot a feature with XDCAM HD , and for budget reasons all I will have are Magnetic ballast HMIs , since the camera shoot at 23.98 fps ( shutter 1/48) and not 24fps , is very likely that we will have some flicker . Does anybody knows how to deal with that ?

tks

Roberto

Hi,

Tungsten lights?

FWIW I had a problem shooting 24 FPS 172.8 degree shutter @50 Hz with a Viper, would have worked fine on film!

Stephen

• Premium Member

tks

Roberto

I've shot many HD features at 23.98P using 60 Hz lighting, not always flicker-free, and even though some people say that you get flicker (which you can see on a waveform apparently) I've never noticed it so it must be pretty darn subtle.

If you do see it, the solution would be to shoot at 1/60th for that shot or use the ECS (Extended Clear Scan) at 60 Hz to remove it. For most types of movement, no one is really going to see the difference between 1/48th and 1/60th.