Factory Girl

• Premium Member

This film has been on my radar for a while, haven't seen it yet though. But after reading an article about it in the latest AC I'm really excited to see it, just look at all of the different kinds of film used:

16mm & 8mm color negative

Kodak Vision2 200T & 500T

Vision 250D

EXR 100D

16mm color negative

Vision 200T

EXR 50D

16mm Reversal

Ektachrome 100D

20-40D Kodachrome

Eastman Plus-X / Tri-X

16mm Black and White

Eastman Plus-X / Double-X

The director George Hickenlooper had this to say about the aesthetic they were going for which I thought was interesting:

We probably could have relied on a DI for degrading the images and all that, but I think we would have lost the authentic feel. There's a physicality to [the photochemical process] that's real, and there's an artifice to the digital process that the trained eye can see and the untrained eye can pick up on subconsciously.

I've been looking forward to this film for awhile myself. I always had a thing for movies about Warhol and the gang. I think Warhol is one of the most used personalities in film if you think about it. Tons of people have played him throughout the different stages of his career. Also Ms. Sedgwick wasn't too hard on the eyes.

I have to agree about using different stocks to get different looks. I make fun of my friends who shoot in HD and then spend hour upon hours trying to get it to look like super 8 when all it takes is a $100 camera and a couple rolls of film.

I really look forward to the film.