Couple more silly Elmo 1012S-XL questions

Rodney Dotson

Hello there!

There are a couple specifics about the 1012S-XL that I am having trouble researching.

I am going to purchase filters and a lense hood for the camera. What is the mm size of the lense? The Kalt lense cover says 62mm, but I am not sure if that is the correct size for hood and or filters.

Second, does anyone have a PDF or copy of the Manual for this camera? I have seen them on the net, but reprinters want $15 for a marginal scan or PDF.

OHH! And this:

Elmo 1012 S-XL

From Super8wiki

<snip>

Accepts the 60 meter cassette or SUPERMAG 400 (400ft) magazine.

What the Hell is that about?

Hello there!

There are a couple specifics about the 1012S-XL that I am having trouble researching.

I am going to purchase filters and a lense hood for the camera. What is the mm size of the lense? The Kalt lense cover says 62mm, but I am not sure if that is the correct size for hood and or filters.

Second, does anyone have a PDF or copy of the Manual for this camera? I have seen them on the net, but reprinters want $15 for a marginal scan or PDF.

OHH! And this:

What the Hell is that about?

Rodney, If the lens cover says 62mm, then that is bound to be the size of the hood and filters. The 60 meter cartridges are no longer available to my knowledge. The Supermag is something someone was trying to develop but I believe it died. Google it. These larger film loads were possible because you'll notice that at the top of the camera, above the film compartment, is a little door which flips up, accomodating the larger size.

Rick

Rodney, If the lens cover says 62mm, then that is bound to be the size of the hood and filters. The 60 meter cartridges are no longer available to my knowledge. The Supermag is something someone was trying to develop but I believe it died. Google it. These larger film loads were possible because you'll notice that at the top of the camera, above the film compartment, is a little door which flips up, accomodating the larger size.

Rick

Thanks for that! I googled the Supermag... wow sure was a lot of controversy for something that doesn't affect so many people! It seemed to be a great idea, but the cost and limited usability/compatibility. I wouldn't mind finding one, but they sure were expensive.

• Premium Member
......Second, does anyone have a PDF or copy of the Manual for this camera? I have seen them on the net, but reprinters want $15 for a marginal scan or PDF.......

Oh the poor lonely scanners of Super-8 information who toil days on end to make old Super-8 information available yet are supposed to not even make a minimal buck.

Oh the poor lonely scanners of Super-8 information who toil days on end to make old Super-8 information available yet are supposed to not even make a minimal buck.

I have no problem paying for a high quality scan. I guess I'm a little gun-shy about paying for an unknown quality scanned manual. I have been disappointed with the scanned information that I have purchased in the past.

Anecdotally, I purchased scans of several out of date gaming books from a few different suppliers. Out of the 7 that were ordered ($10-25) each, only one was a truly "acceptable" scan. The others had missing information/pages, illegible paragraphs, tilted pages, they were just horrible looking productions.

I will pay for a scanned manual (even more for the real deal), but at this point only if I am confident that it is a quality scan and as a last option.

If I seem bitter about paying for scanned out of date material, I am.

Rod

• Premium Member
I have no problem paying for a high quality scan. I guess I'm a little gun-shy about paying for an unknown quality scanned manual. I have been disappointed with the scanned information that I have purchased in the past.

Anecdotally, I purchased scans of several out of date gaming books from a few different suppliers. Out of the 7 that were ordered ($10-25) each, only one was a truly "acceptable" scan. The others had missing information/pages, illegible paragraphs, tilted pages, they were just horrible looking productions.

I will pay for a scanned manual (even more for the real deal), but at this point only if I am confident that it is a quality scan and as a last option.

If I seem bitter about paying for scanned out of date material, I am.

Rod

I had no idea. If you previously stated..."having purchased several low quality scans in the past"... then we could acknowledge your expertise in this area, otherwise it looks like someone trying to be super cheap when dealing with super-8.

Although for 15 bucks, it must be tempting to just do it one more time and hope for the best. Can't the sellers of these scans offer an honest crtique of how good or bad their scan is?

I had no idea. If you previously stated..."having purchased several low quality scans in the past"... then we could acknowledge your expertise in this area, otherwise it looks like someone trying to be super cheap when dealing with super-8.

Although for 15 bucks, it must be tempting to just do it one more time and hope for the best. Can't the sellers of these scans offer an honest crtique of how good or bad their scan is?

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. It's really a crap-shoot anymore.

Please don't think I was trying to be at all hostile in my previous answer. I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Of course we like to get as much as possible for as little as possible (value), but again, I'd pay a "goodly amount" if I could be assured of a high quality scan.

I also want to make clear the apreciation that I feel for the large amount of information in such a short period of time that I have gleaned from this forum and especially you.

Thank you

Rod

• Premium Member
Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. It's really a crap-shoot anymore.

Please don't think I was trying to be at all hostile in my previous answer. I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Of course we like to get as much as possible for as little as possible (value), but again, I'd pay a "goodly amount" if I could be assured of a high quality scan.

I also want to make clear the apreciation that I feel for the large amount of information in such a short period of time that I have gleaned from this forum and especially you.

Thank you

Rod

One of my observations over the years has been that Super-8 fans tend to be very very cost conscious. This is admirable to a poit, but at some point, I like to see people who have invested in super-8 to perhaps recoup their investments and even make a profit if they have a legitimate product to offer the super-8 community.

The fact that you have already bought super-8 scans in the past is very commendable, you might just be in the minority when it comes to that fact.

One of my observations over the years has been that Super-8 fans tend to be very very cost conscious. This is admirable to a poit, but at some point, I like to see people who have invested in super-8 to perhaps recoup their investments and even make a profit if they have a legitimate product to offer the super-8 community.

The fact that you have already bought super-8 scans in the past is very commendable, you might just be in the minority when it comes to that fact.

I usually have no problems paying my share for things like equipment, documentation, film, labor... (although I did just get a steal on the Elmo 1012 and I just picked up an AMBICO telecine NIB from the Goodwill for $6.99)

What I do like to "scam" is knowlege :ph34r:

I don't have much detail information about cinematography (yet) as I am just starting to learn, but any storage space I do fill in my brain is "Public Domain".

• Premium Member
I usually have no problems paying my share for things like equipment, documentation, film, labor... (although I did just get a steal on the Elmo 1012 and I just picked up an AMBICO telecine NIB from the Goodwill for $6.99)

What I do like to "scam" is knowlege :ph34r:

I don't have much detail information about cinematography (yet) as I am just starting to learn, but any storage space I do fill in my brain is "Public Domain".

I agree. Consider most forums the "padded cells" of information.

The Elmo 1012S-XL is pretty much self instructive, basically made to shoot sceenes without effects other than fade. No slo-mo. Save your bucks. The only thing thats a bit strange is the wheel for on off batt and T. The T mark means on when the handle is folded for use on a tripod. My camera was tested this summer with a 200 feet magazine and the motor runs impressively smooth, much better than the extremely battery sensitive Beaulieus.

Although a bit plastic it's very nice camera to handle. Filter diameter is 62 mm not 60