Zeiss 10-100 T2 Coverage for Super16?

Devon Green

Hi,

I was wondering what if any coverage range the Zeiss 10-100 T2 would offer for the Super16mm frame. I know there is a Super16mm conversion that makes it a an 11-100 T2.2, covering that whole range, but I am talking about using the original, non-converted lens.

For instance, I have an Angenieux 10-150mm T 2.2 which covers the very useful range of 30mm-150mm in Super16. So I am wondering about the Zeiss.

Also, I have heard that the Zeiss is sharper and has more contrast, but how big of a difference would show on something that is finishing on video? (Digital Beta or HD)

Thanks!

• Premium Member

When I put my Zeiss 10-100 T2 on my Aaton Super 16 LTR, it vignettes all the way up to 32mm. I had been told you can shoot as wide as 25mm with it, but in my experience it vignettes at 25mm and even a little at 32mm. From there to 100mm it is fine.

And when you convert it, it becomes a 12-120 T2.4 zoom. The Zeiss Super 16 zoom is an 11-110 T2.2 zoom which is Super 16 from the factory.

-Tim

• Premium Member
Hi,

I was wondering what if any coverage range the Zeiss 10-100 T2 would offer for the Super16mm frame. I know there is a Super16mm conversion that makes it a an 11-100 T2.2, covering that whole range, but I am talking about using the original, non-converted lens.

For instance, I have an Angenieux 10-150mm T 2.2 which covers the very useful range of 30mm-150mm in Super16. So I am wondering about the Zeiss.

Also, I have heard that the Zeiss is sharper and has more contrast, but how big of a difference would show on something that is finishing on video? (Digital Beta or HD)

Thanks!

The color and contrast shouldn't be a problem. Those should both be subtle and easily within the capability of even basic software to grade out. The sharpness difference would depend on the format you finish on. You probably wouldn't notice on SD video. You might notice on an HD video format but it would have to be tested. I don't know how different they are.

It varies widely I think. I shot part of a film with both the Ang 10-150 and Zeiss 10-100, could hardly tell them apart.

Other 10-150's were coke bottles.

I suspect most of the 10-150's out there seriously need service, this was probably true of a lot of them out there in the past as well.

-Sam