tricky shots

G McMahon

Hello all,

Just like some aid with some troubleshooting.

A few shots

1). A golf bunker shot, BG golfer has taken shot from bunker and FG is the hole. Would like the ball to roll into hole as we dolly across to hole (ball rolls toward camera). Thinking someone rolls ball 6 feet away and runs out of shot. Can see this taking a few takes though.

2). Sauna shot/ steam room. concerned that the steam will ruin camera. i thought of a smoke machine, but there is a particular shot where they want water being thrown onto the hot coals.

3). With the helicopter shots, can I nurse the camera on a cinesaddle? Will the shakes transfer through? (assuming I will have everything lashed down)

Thanks,

• Premium Member

1) Something along those lines might work.

2) Use a fog machine. Rig tubing under the "coals" for a blast of smoke on cue.

3) Search this site for topics on shooting from helicopters.

• Premium Member
Hello all,

Just like some aid with some troubleshooting.

A few shots

1). A golf bunker shot, BG golfer has taken shot from bunker and FG is the hole. Would like the ball to roll into hole as we dolly across to hole (ball rolls toward camera). Thinking someone rolls ball 6 feet away and runs out of shot. Can see this taking a few takes though.

** The chances someone rolling the ball in and the actual golfer hitting the ball in are probably less. Especially if its a pro golfer, you will have problems with timing and getting the other person in the shot. Are you on tape or film? Something you could try is have a leaf blower off to the side of the hole and if it looks like its not going toward the hole you could gently blow it across.

2). Sauna shot/ steam room. concerned that the steam will ruin camera. i thought of a smoke machine, but there is a particular shot where they want water being thrown onto the hot coals.

**Do your shot with the steam last, a little steam wont hurt a modern video camera or film camera. Do everything else with smoke.

3). With the helicopter shots, can I nurse the camera on a cinesaddle? Will the shakes transfer through? (assuming I will have everything lashed down)

**lots of archives as mentioned.

• Premium Member

I shot a steam room scene recently... it was actually in a very cold basement of an old Dacha house in Lithuania... Because the actors were (very) cold their breaths were giving the game away so they had to swig ice-cold water in-between takes! - we used smoke machines for the steam atmos and back-lit it carefully.... looked good on camera...