Car mount

Daniel Wallens

Hey all!

I am working on a short right now which has a driving shot coming up. We're going to be putting a Varicam on the hood of a car, and using the Modern Equipment car mount to do it. Alas, I cannot find any info online about this apparatus. Hopefully, the unit will come with some instructions/paperwork, but I haven't seen our grip package yet.

Can anyone help me out with any info on this particular car mount? Either a .pdf online or advice right here would be great! :)

Cheers!

I am pretty sure there wont be any instructions. Do you have a grip? if not get one that has used this kind of gear. this has the potential to cause death or serious harm. The rig is pretty easy. put a furniture pad down on the hood. set the mount on the hood where you want it trying to align the feet along a body seam. Lower or raise it to suit your shot. use 2-4 ratchet straps and strap it down tightly making sure the ratchets are not hooked on body panels, plastic, not caught up it the tire as the car steers, etc. bolt leveling head on, bolt camera or quickrelease to leveling head. put a safety on the camera should something go wrong. I like to bite the camera mag with a cardalini or something to reduce vibrations. Be Safe. think things through. I would suggest you hire or find a grip with experience with these rigs. Safety is no accident. think about your ability to pay for any damages caused by misuse of the equipment. everything must be secured to prevent an accident. go slow it looks a lot faster on film.

I once had a camera body crack from the shock forces on the camera. granted we were in the desert going 45mph armed out from a hummer. the sony camera (brand new hd-900) split in half right at the dip switches when we hit a gully at 45. Insurance is a great thing. sony also ponied up on the warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much about the specific instructions for this particular mount. The most important thing would be to have a grip that can attach any mount to a car. If you, or your crew are inexperienced with rigging, that you shouldn't attempt to attach a camera to a car, with or without instructions.