How do those annoying MTV shows like Laguna Beach have such deep and rich colors?

joshuajohnson

it has to do not only with the cameras they use (they arent just your standard broadcast, im almost positive they use the varicam) but they also get a chance to prelight just about every location and think ahead rather than your standard doc style run and gun shooting. plus they have really good shooters doing theyre stuff and it also goes through a ton of post production sweetening.

• Premium Member

I've shot some for MTV (not the "reality" shows), and also knew a 1st years ago who worked on Laguna Beach. Laguna Beach was/ is SDX900s, but MTV owns tons of DVXs and HVXs as well as standard broadcast gear.

I think most of the look comes from just slightly warming everything up in camera, as well as shooting nice B-roll type stuff during pretty times of day. None of the shows look that special or hard to achieve to me, just warm.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
How do the annoying MTV shows like Laguna Beach have such deep and rich colors? Is it a certain type of filter that makes seem so "glamorous" or whatever you would call it? Is it just the type of camera that the cameramen use?

Color correction in post makes the final look of every show on TV. You can crank up and clip as much as you want.

-- J.S.