Buying 16mm in India

Ralph Tabith

Hi does anyone know of a place i can buy 16mm in India? I am going with a bolex with me, so it would have to be 100ft daylight spools. I am considering taking the film myself but the whole xray thing is putting me off abit. If anyone knows of a vendor I would really appreciate it - thanks!

Hi does anyone know of a place i can buy 16mm in India? I am going with a bolex with me, so it would have to be 100ft daylight spools. I am considering taking the film myself but the whole xray thing is putting me off abit. If anyone knows of a vendor I would really appreciate it - thanks!

Hi ralph, try this post, ive been several times and have used the Labs in Bangalore. I have no comments about other labs, except to say that India has a HUGE film industry so you shouldn't have trouble.

I do remember having to pre-purchase my film from Kodak because they didnt stock any 100' lengths. Email them long before you leave or be prepared to break up a 400' roll.

Namaste'

hi again,

the link didnt post, ill try again

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...mp;#entry146394

cheers

hi again,

the link didnt post, ill try again

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...mp;#entry146394

cheers

Hi thanks for that Stephen, I have been emailing the Koday reps in India to see whether I could get some 400ft rolls and get a lab to break them up. Adlabs are really helpful. Do you think there would be film stockists in Mumbai where you could literally walk in and buy over the counter so to speak? Thanks!

Hi thanks for that Stephen, I have been emailing the Koday reps in India to see whether I could get some 400ft rolls and get a lab to break them up. Adlabs are really helpful. Do you think there would be film stockists in Mumbai where you could literally walk in and buy over the counter so to speak? Thanks!

Hi Ralph, sorry can't help you with Mumbai, but if you email them, they will help. Another alternative is to mail your film stock to yourself but then you risk x-ray and heat damaging it all. I guess it will also depend on what you are planning to film with. Kodak 50D will do better than 500T for instance.

My wife and I are in South India often, twice this last year. The mail service is great but we have friends who live there year round so I can send my supplies ahead, (P.S. i also send good chocolate bars and canned spaghetti sauce which is hard to find where we go).

Good luck,

stephen

Here are the #s of Kodak reps in India - you can also find an email from the website

Entertainment Imaging

Tel no (91-22) 66416762

http://www.kodak.co.in/go/motion

For Fuji search for Patel India Distributors, Tardeo, Bombay.

The country has ample stock of 35MM any time. But if you need specific 16MM stock (like A-Minima stock), you will have order 6 weeks in advance. Prasad Labs, Bombay has Kodak Kit Chemistry processing which is the best in India.

And I think India will still use motion picture film even after the whole west goes digital.

Here are the #s of Kodak reps in India - you can also find an email from the website

Entertainment Imaging

Tel no (91-22) 66416762

http://www.kodak.co.in/go/motion

For Fuji search for Patel India Distributors, Tardeo, Bombay.

The country has ample stock of 35MM any time. But if you need specific 16MM stock (like A-Minima stock), you will have order 6 weeks in advance. Prasad Labs, Bombay has Kodak Kit Chemistry processing which is the best in India.

And I think India will still use motion picture film even after the whole west goes digital.

I don't know which part of india you are in,

India would definitely adopt to Digital.Indian low-budget filmmakers were always looking for cost-effective filmmaking solutions.

For example, The TWO southern states AP(Andhra Pradesh,Hyderabad), where I belong and neighboring state TN(Tamil Nadu,Madras) together have more than 4000 theatres. Already more than 400 theatres have gone digital.

The interesting thing here is instead of producers - Distributors - Exhibitors pointing fingers at each other, there is fourth party came into the arena and installed(installing) Digital Projectors. The fourth party(4 players) installs the equipment at their own expense and charges very minimum amount per show.

India has invented their own economical D-Projectors, of course they are 1K only.

It is a healthy system,

- The producer hands over the One positive print to D-Cinema Company

- D-Cinema Charges $1500 to convert it to MP4 format

- Based on the Distribution agreement Either Producer OR distributor control the Digital Copy.

- Producer/Distributor Authorises D-cinema to specific theatre(no.of shows).

- D-Cinema collects ~$25 per show from Distibutor.

From Jan,2007 onwards EVERY movie released in AP or TN have been Digitized(after all, it is same as ONE print cost)

Already producers are feeling the pinch to pay for Print costs for Other 300+ positive prints(where there is no D-cinema)

Exhibitors/Distributors are also happy because they are not spending a Penny from their pocket, as everything taken care by D-Cinema Company.

D-cinema companys very busy installing at new places.

--- The Temporary bottleneck for digital growth is Film out cost, but it will be gone shortly

I was reading in the othe RED forum, india already has 10 RED reservations.