Par Cans

Chris Walters

I'm looking at putting together a light package and came across Chauvet par 64s that are roughly only 35 dollars from a reputable website however the mole par cans are around 100 dollars... no bulbs or clamps are included in both. Does anyone have any insight on this. Because if Chauvet is good why not go with a cheaper price if its only the body of the light anyway. I'm also looking a few lekos... is there any difference in source 4s and other lekos. I know they started in theater, but are there models that have certain perks for film use?

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Chris Walters

I've got a few Altman par cans, very similar to the Chauvet, and I've got a few Mole Pars. I prefer the Moles for two reasons: they are very small (almost 1/3 the size), and you can rotate the fixture to position the beam without removing the globe. Very handy.

I don't know if that is enough incentive for you to merit the significant price difference. However, if you're willing to wait, you can sometimes find the Moles on eBay. I bought 4 Mole Pars for about $35 each.

--S

with the altman and the Chavuet parcans the price difference is materials and brand name. altman wants $75 for theirs and chavet's are $25. not much difference in application. MOlepars have a steel body and are smaller, and have a baby reciever built in. you will have to purchase the tvmp adapter for the others.

you can rotate the lamp without removing the bulb by reaching into the hole in the back and grabbing the lamp and rotating, wear a glove as the lamp will burn you.

check out the Source four par by ETC. It has interchangable lenses rather than carry 4 different globes. It also uses a 575watt hpl lamp that outputs more lumen than a 1000watt globe. less power smaller fixture more room in truck....

Thanks for the responces guys. I did find the source 4s and have worked with them on set. Amazing light really can't go on with out one. I think i might end up buying a few of those instead and rent par cans probably cheaper that way. But thank you for the advice.

Chris Walters