35mm film frame mounting

Mitch Deoudes

Can anyone suggest a method of mounting individual 35mm motion picture frames? I believe 35mm still film has the same perforation pitch, so I could use standard 35mm slide mounts (been a long time - my old Nikon is gathering dust in my closet)... but I'm not sure how much of the edges would be obscured, or if there are other issues.

Also - looking for a teeny-tiny lightbox that could be adapted to permanently mount either a single frame or short strip of frames.

The application for both of these things is to create a low-cost gift for several hundred people. On the low end (slide mounts) I'm looking to be cheaper than those plastic keychain viewer things, and on the high end (mini lightbox) I'm looking to be classier than the same item.

Can anyone suggest a method of mounting individual 35mm motion picture frames? I believe 35mm still film has the same perforation pitch, so I could use standard 35mm slide mounts (been a long time - my old Nikon is gathering dust in my closet)... but I'm not sure how much of the edges would be obscured, or if there are other issues.

I would think there are still half frame mounts availiable. For cameras like the Olympus Pen and the Robot.

The camera aperture is supposed to 18x24mm. In actuality the Olympus is a tad smaller.

The mount's opening is 17/17.5x23mm. Full S35 aperture on your footage would be the perfect fit.

A track or empty track area will show. An academy aperture wich is 16mm high will exhibit slivers of frameline.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to chime in before but resisted since they aparantly still have 35mm half-frame mounts available. If they are too expensive to purchase you can simply mount a 3- or 4-perf frame in an 8-perf mount and then mask off the areas (a "hard matte" if you will) with electrical tape. Makes for a very cheap fix, just so long as you're careful not to lay it on so thick as to jam the slide projector.