gbct 16mm kelly calculator

• 1 month later...

Really?

I would have thought that the depth of field issues would be different for 16mm vs. super 16mm??? Isn't the CoC different between the two formats, not to mention the lack of the same lenses available for 16mm.

I don't work alot with 16mm, so I'm no expert.

Could someone please explain.

Z

• 4 weeks later...
Really?

I would have thought that the depth of field issues would be different for 16mm vs. super 16mm??? Isn't the CoC different between the two formats, not to mention the lack of the same lenses available for 16mm.

Z

And here comes my question.. Which of the Kelly's should one invest in?

Having come from a Digital Video environment, creeping into HDCAM using adaptors and 35mm primes plus now up for a job on S16.. What to do?

Many thanks,

Daniel

• Premium Member
AFAIK, the 16mm Kelly Wheel was designed for s16, so there should be no problems. If you're on a budget, it will also work for HD, as the DoF tables are very similar between the two formats.

I use it for HD. In fact, I use yours for HD. I should really send that back to you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Really?

Z

S16 v 16. The new GBCT Kelly 16mm version was designed for Super16. As the original 16mm aperture area is less than that of S16, the Depth-of-Field (for 16mm) will be increased. But remember, ALL Kelly Calculators were designed for accuracy on the BIG SCREEN (ie, cinema) where DoF becomes critical and cannot be judged just by checking it by eye-focusing or what it looks like even on the best of monitors. Perceived DoF is a factor of the degree of magnification. What looks sharp on a frame width of, say, 32in (or much less) is very different when seen on a 40ft screen. You can only see your actual DoF when viewing the material on a cinema screen (film or digital). It was why the Kelly was invented back in the Fifties. The modern Kellys still work superbly well and to a finer degree of Circles of Confusion than they did back in the Fifties. Most importantly, you can rely on them 100%.

Palm pilots with pCam are the only way for me.

They tell you your DOF far more accurately (to the 1/10th of an inch!) and are extremely useful for setting splits or favouring foreground, background etc.

Samcine and Kelly wheels are old technology, completely outdated.

But thats just my opinion :)