battery question

Lee Young

• Premium Member

No, it will work.

Although you have to disregard the "cigarette" connection and, if you can wire yourself, install (w/solder and heat-shrink) an xlr outlet if there is room. You will end up with connection problems if not. Don't forget to double check your polarity.

Why won't the cigarette connection work? I have no idea how to the do-it-yourself stuff. Polarity? If this is easily explainable, could you tell me how to do this stuff?

I've also looked at the longvalley equipment dewalt battery adaptor. Is this a better option? Thanks.

cigarette connections aren't very reliable and as such will probably lead to more headaches than you care to deal with. It shouldn't be hard to find someone to wire up what you want.

In the end you will probably be happier with the dewalt batteries.

~Jess

Is there any reason that a car battery starter/charger like this connected to a male cigarette to female xlr adaptor like this couldn't power my kinor that takes a 12v power supply?

Hi Lee.

Your Kinor-16 camera have modified motor 29EP-1414 with input polarity protection.

That's why, if you connect battery with reversal polarity, the motor not will work only.

About " Schumacher IPD-1800 Instant Power Jump Starter With Docking Station "

"Product Description

This instant power charger comes with a 12-volt, 18 amp-hour maintenance-free lead acid battery. It assures ample starting power for extreme conditions and has easy to read LEDs for battery charge status; red indicating low charge, yellow indicating medium charge, and green indicating full charge. It also includes a built-in halogen light for emergencies. "

As for me, this is plastic box with SLA battery inside and additional electronics, charger, wires.

You can rear : " 12v 18amp-hour maintence -free lead acid battery ".

I think, iniside set of of battery similar of CSB GP 12170 12v 17ah

http://www.csb-battery.com/english/01_prod...id=5&pid=13

If you think to use of this battery for Kinor only.

This batteryy can have too big power.

Kinor need of 2.5..3.5A and time of running of Kinor motor can be 17:2.5 = 6.8 hours. or 5000 m of film.

17 ah big power, but, big weight too and every filmmaker must choose of best ratio between power and weight of battery.

I recommend use of 12 v 7 ah, 4 ah SLA batteries and this power good for run of Kinor.

I prefer to have two low power batteries, from, one but, with big power.

If you think to use of this battery like " Jump starter " of car - this bluff.

The battery must give 500..650A at starter mode, 12v18ah battery can give you 80A at 5 minutes with output voltage 1.6 v/cell.

That's why, this battery can charge a some battery only, but, can't start of car engine.

The additional lighter can be good device.

About use of male cigarette to female xlr adaptor.

The electrical motor of Kinor camera have 4 pin XLR socket with pins ( XLR male body socket ). The power cord must have female cable socket from motor side.

You can use of this power cord, if the cental contact of male cigarette plug will have wire with pin 4 ( + )of XLR socket and body contact of cigarette plug will connect with pin 1 ( - ).

If you will need my consultation, You can send me ULR of other devices.

But, i not recommend to connect of Kinor motor with cigarette socket of car with running engine.

The generator of car can give high voltage , short time pulses and other alias and car's generator can influence on electronics of Kinor's motor and value of crystal sync speed.