Bolex Ebm clicking noise

Ralph Tabith

• 1 month later...
Any ideas?/ I assume that all Ebms make this kind of noise.......well i hope anyway a alittle bit different to the clockwork ones......

Is it my imagination or is the incoming film loop hitting the loop former? Mine is definitely quieter, although sometimes some rolls are a little noisier than others. If you're shooting a project, I'd have it serviced.

Edited by Craig Mieritz

• 1 month later...

the bolex has that click to help you count the seconds the film is running.

you can actually make it louder or switch it off completely.

In the opened camera (where you load the film) just beneath the upper reel

(where the unexposed film goes) is a flat lever. try to move it and find out what direction produces what result in the cllick.

hope it is this noise,

cheers,

phil

• 3 weeks later...
the bolex has that click to help you count the seconds the film is running.

you can actually make it louder or switch it off completely.

In the opened camera (where you load the film) just beneath the upper reel

(where the unexposed film goes) is a flat lever. try to move it and find out what direction produces what result in the cllick.

hope it is this noise,

cheers,

phil

That click is made by a little raised section on the outside of the spring casing hitting a little fwing-fwang every revolution - An EBM wont have one of these (unless they have made it work some other way, I dont have an EBM on hand to see, but I know thew EL doesn't have one for instance).

After listening to the video I'd suggest your EBM is in need of some adjustment that cannot be simply diagnosed over the net like this - this is not to say that the fix may be simple (and lets hope it is), but there are enough things to get to loose and/or misaligned its like a needle in a haystack...

Personally I'd start by getting some film and making a large loop so with the camera running you can keep going for as long as your battery will last - Now, I dont know if you really want to do this or not (but I certainly would) - when running get in there and gently push and pull on the operational parts that you can access and see if any manipulation makes the noise either louder or quieter - and unless you have the $$$ to fork out I do mean GENTLY - so, lets imagine you find that when metal thingy A when bent in direction B makes the noise go away (and in turn causes no other new issues, tricky ones you cant see until you get the footage back like excessive film weave) - anyhoo look and see if metal thingy A has some sort of screw on it that when loosened makes metal thingy A adjustable in direction B ... you'll get the picture - If it doesn't then just bend or file it so it can be moved ...

fixed it ? great ! >> welcome to Team Bolex Home Fix it Shop !

other than that it might just need its once every 30 year internal lubrication service.