Tony Brown

Sharpening software

I went to see a Dalsa camera today. The sharpness was just hideous. It appears that the camera artificially sharpens the image, is there some way to turn this off?

Thanks

I went to see a Dalsa camera today. The sharpness was just hideous. It appears that the camera artificially sharpens the image, is there some way to turn this off?

Thanks

The camera captures raw images (no different then the RED, except Dalsa doesn't use a compression scheme like REDCODE), so if anything I'd assume you were looking at a live debayered image, which is nothing like what the camera actually captures. The camera actually has no internal processing.

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

Thanks

Hi Tony,

There is no sharpening taking place inside any DALSA digital cinema camera.

I'm not sure what images you were seeing, or for that matter where, and under what circumstances you saw sharpening, but there is no sharpening in the camera. Please let me know, I would like to see the image in question.

I.

Illya Friedman

DALSA

Digital Cinema Division

www.dalsa.com/dc

Hi Tony,

There is no sharpening taking place inside any DALSA digital cinema camera.

I'm not sure what images you were seeing, or for that matter where, and under what circumstances you saw sharpening, but there is no sharpening in the camera. Please let me know, I would like to see the image in question.

I.

Illya Friedman

DALSA

Digital Cinema Division

www.dalsa.com/dc

Hi Illya

Movietech in London have been extremely helpful and explained to me that the image was RAW and no manipulation was taking place... what I misunderstood was that the output to the monitor wasn't a true representation of ythe RAW image. The debayering was apparently reponsible for the difference in sharpness between the viewing system and the image on the monitor

With video assist from 35mm its not difficult to explain to clients that its not a true representation of the film image.... however many directors / clients / agency are not so easy to convince when it comes to HD.

I am however struggling with Hi def images in general. They seem extremely harsh in their natural state and I'm keen to start testing soon to find a way to soften the overall image, be that by lens choice, filtration or post.

Regards

Tony Brown

I am however struggling with Hi def images in general. They seem extremely harsh in their natural state and I'm keen to start testing soon to find a way to soften the overall image, be that by lens choice, filtration or post.

Knowing you Tony, you'll probably pull out some old Cooke Speed Panchros to see what they look like ;)

Knowing you Tony, you'll probably pull out some old Cooke Speed Panchros to see what they look like ;)

Top of the list Max..... Everyone seems to be buying them up and re housing them. Also People are apparently resorting to Bosch & Lomb's from the 60's to 'counter' the over sharp images