Opinion

Steve Woronko

I started out in music recording almost 20 years ago, when recording, for the most part you recorded dry and added effects later. Then I got into post, learned my way around editing/effects and such.

Then I got into the production side of things. As an editor I hate hearing 'we'll fix it in post'. But found myself doing it on projects I knew I was editing myself because I knew what I could get away with.

The question I have is when you're shooting, how do you decide if you're going to do a certain look in the camera or in post. I'm not really talking effects per se. But things like color temp, etc.

thanks for any thoughts on this....

Stussey

• Premium Member

I think it's a fine dance. You want to get it as much in camera as you can, generally. But sometimes, that's expensive or impossible for whatever reason, so then you get as far there as you can and you finesse it in post. Or, a lot of the time, you'll have a production that isn't quite sure how they want it to look; in which case it's best to save that all for post, though you can still nudge in camera x or y way. That's my opinion at least.