Speed changes within clip in FCP

Kristian Schumacher

Hi everyone!

I have a question that should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I have some 16mm footage that I shot at 200-250fps scanned and loaded in my FCP 6.0 project. Now I want to ramp up and down the speed within the clip, ideally gradually, to leave only parts of the clip in slow motion while some faster. Some sort of key frame- speed change function that will let me tweak the speed at several points within the clip.....?

Any help appreciated :rolleyes:

And Happy New year!

Kristian

I have a question that should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I have some 16mm footage that I shot at 200-250fps scanned and loaded in my FCP 6.0 project. Now I want to ramp up and down the speed within the clip, ideally gradually, to leave only parts of the clip in slow motion while some faster. Some sort of key frame- speed change function that will let me tweak the speed at several points within the clip.....?

There are two ways to do this. The one I find easier is the "Timing" feature in Motion - it's on the "Properties" tab of the Inspector. Within FCP itself, there's the time remap function, on the "Motion" tab in the Viewer. Neither one is particularly easy to use - you'll have to work with them a bit to figure out how they work.

--

Jim

Thanks a lot Jim,

I will give both those ways a try and see what works best.

Kristian

There are two ways to do this. The one I find easier is the "Timing" feature in Motion - it's on the "Properties" tab of the Inspector. Within FCP itself, there's the time remap function, on the "Motion" tab in the Viewer. Neither one is particularly easy to use - you'll have to work with them a bit to figure out how they work.

--

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Time ramping may be easier to do in Motion. But if you want to keep in FCP, just set a keyframe for your Time in the Motion tab move forward 5 or so frames and make another value to have it be a bit smoother.

You could also do this in AfterEffects and use Easy Ease keyframes which would be even easier. Check out videocopilot.net for tutorials on AfterEffects.