Times for reusing D19 with TriX Super 8

I have been using D19 to develop TriX for awhile now, and have been pleased with results. I am about to embark on a lengthy processing session and have just realised that I have lost some of my notes on reusing the D19 solution.

Rereading my darkroom diary, in the past I seemed to have added 30sec to the developing times for each roll developed, using the same solution (without replenishers) 5 times before chucking it out. Does this seem right? I have looked all over the internet and cannot find a guide for the reuse of D19 when processing TriX motion picture film.

I would be grateful if anyone has any info/experience to share!

I have been using D19 to develop TriX for awhile now, and have been pleased with results. I am about to embark on a lengthy processing session and have just realised that I have lost some of my notes on reusing the D19 solution.

Rereading my darkroom diary, in the past I seemed to have added 30sec to the developing times for each roll developed, using the same solution (without replenishers) 5 times before chucking it out. Does this seem right? I have looked all over the internet and cannot find a guide for the reuse of D19 when processing TriX motion picture film.

I would be grateful if anyone has any info/experience to share!

hi there,

30 seconds per film is too much.

Here is what I do. I dissolve 1 x 1 galon bag of d19. I then divide the mixed developer into 2 bottles of 1/2 gallon each (1.8 litres each). This is the first and second developer. I process 2 films at a time in a lomo tank. The first tank gets 6 mins of first developer from the first developer bottle. The next use of the first developer bottle gets 6 min and 5 seconds. The third use gets 6.10, etc.. Actually I normally have a lot to process so I process the second tank using the developer in the second developer bottle (which as yet hasn't been used as a second developer) for the first developer of the second tank. This gets the same 6 minutes. Then, with the third tank, I use the dev in the first dev bottle again for 6 min and 5 seconds. In my opinion it is possible to process 6 tanks worth of 2 films each using a gallon of d19. The first developer gets used 5 times, whereas the second gets used 7 times (once as a first developer, then 6 times as a second developer).

If you are using 1 litre quantites of d19 you can do the same (noting that you shouldn't use a developer that has been used as the second developer as a first developer). Add 5 seconds after every use. You will find this is adequate.

cheers,

richard

Thanks Richard,

I usually dev one roll at a time be it Super 8 or 16mm.

So, in short, you think I need to add 5 sec onto dev times for both first and second developer, using the chemistry for 5 rolls of film before I chuck it out (if you do double loads, this must mean that you end up developing 10 rolls of S8 with your developers...)? Your system seems a bit complicated especially as I mix my D19 from scratch, adding thiocyanate to the first developer, making only 1L at a time.

Thanks for your advice,

Jayne

Oy--my tank is arriving next week, and now I'm more confused than ever.

Same formulas apply for Plus-X too, correct?

Yes, except that you need to make the first dev time in d19 8 minutes for Plus-x 7265 (new plus-x) if shot at 100asa. Old plus x , old tri-x and new plus-x shot at 50 asa can all be prcessed with new tri-x at at 6 min.