Lens choice for wide open shots

We're shooting a film in the desert on an arri sr2, We're looking at renting a 16mm and 25mm zeiss prime, we need a lens that will be able to shoot very wide open shots from far away and we're looking for some ideas, would any of those two do the trick?

below is an idea of the distances and frames we'll be shooting

2409919628_8a712001e9.jpg

• Premium Member

If you get the suggestions David gave, you would be pretty set. Personally, I would try to add a 6mm to the list. I'm a big fan of that lens' perspective on 16mm, especially outdoors.

I agree with Chris, using the 6.5 gives the most impressive wide angles in 16mm. I prefer to rent all the kit from zeiss, it comes with the 6.5, 9, 12, 16, 25. Just be aware that with the 6.5 everything on frame is going to be on focus, good if that's what you are looking for.

• Premium Member
Just be aware that with the 6.5 everything on frame is going to be on focus, good if that's what you are looking for.

Oh my yes. The hyperfocal distance for that lens is around a meter and a half at a T2.

If you get the suggestions David gave, you would be pretty set. Personally, I would try to add a 6mm to the list. I'm a big fan of that lens' perspective on 16mm, especially outdoors.

Personally, I really dislike lenses this wide on 16mm. I don't think that the format has enough resolution to cope.

If you do use one, make sure you shoot at a good deep stop. t5.6 at least.