Anamorphic Digital Intermediate

Chris D Walker

When a film opts to shoot on 35mm with anamorphic lenses and go through a digital intermediate, whether it be at 2K or 4K, what is the standard for scanning resolution when recording back to film? I ask because Super35 4-perf at 2K will be 2048x1536 pixels during the scan or telecine, but as anamorphic uses slightly less of the horizontal film area it would be 1828x1536. Would the anamorphic scan be slightly uprezzed to 2048 horizontal by 1712 vertical pixels and recorded out to film or be recorded out at 1828 horizontal by 1536 vertical pixels? Is the number of vertical pixels something other than 1536?

I have tried to find the answer online but I haven't as of yet. As someone with an obsessive compulsive tendency I find it hard to drop this thought. I would appreciate anyone answering this small but 'impossible to get out of my head' riddle so I can lay it to rest.

When a film opts to shoot on 35mm with anamorphic lenses and go through a digital intermediate, whether it be at 2K or 4K, what is the standard for scanning resolution when recording back to film? I ask because Super35 4-perf at 2K will be 2048x1536 pixels during the scan or telecine, but as anamorphic uses slightly less of the horizontal film area it would be 1828x1536. Would the anamorphic scan be slightly uprezzed to 2048 horizontal by 1712 vertical pixels and recorded out to film or be recorded out at 1828 horizontal by 1536 vertical pixels? Is the number of vertical pixels something other than 1536?

I have tried to find the answer online but I haven't as of yet. As someone with an obsessive compulsive tendency I find it hard to drop this thought. I would appreciate anyone answering this small but 'impossible to get out of my head' riddle so I can lay it to rest.

Hey there, when we scan 2k anamorphic footage, our scanner scans at 2048x1556 within the academy frame.

But how can this resolution be the same as a Super 35mm 4perf frame when academy uses less of the original camera negative? Answer: The arriscanner we use shifts it's optics and zooms slighty into the academy frame to obtain this full 2k resolution.

After color correction when we're ready to do the film out, we send the lab 2048x1743 images (slightly uprezzing the vertical pixels to obtain a true unsqueezed scope ratio while keeping the highest 2k resolution possible.) Remember that when the print that the projectionist uses is not squeezed, the lens he/she uses on the projector squeezes the image into the proper 2.35:1 ratio, so the slight vertical uprez is offset. The reason why you can't find any resolute numbers on this subject is because every DI post house works differently, scanners scan at slightly different resolutions based on what the engineers who made them thought the optimal resolution should be. Film recorders also accept different resolutions as well. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be shot out squeezed at 1828x1556, to the academy portion of the neg, for anamorphic print projection. If the DI is done correctly it will never be unsqueezed during post, only electronically unsqueezed to view the image properly.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I suggest 2K (2048 X 1556) resolution is enough for 35mm anamorphic. If u ask for Super35 4-perf -- after DI the output is 2048 X 872 is recorded to 1828 X 1556 (without audio gate) . I hope this information will help u what u ask if not please ignore.